Does this qualify as "physical punishment" . . .

My daughter is in first grade. Yesterday she was rocking back in forth in her chair and leaning back on two legs. The teacher told my daughter that if she could not sit nicely in the chair that she would not be able to have one.

The teacher took away my daughter's chair and made her stand. I think this is terrible and I also think it violates our district's ban on "physical punishment" because she was forced to get tired feet from standing. She came home and complained about how much her feet hurt!

I did the "right" thing and called the teacher first. The teacher said that yes she did take away the chair and told my daughter she could earn her chair back if she could show that she could sit nicely. The teacher said she gave the chair back after ten minutes. The teacher said she wanted my daughter to appreciate her chair and not get hurt. However, I think her punishment went too far.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:58 PM on Feb. 26, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Teacher was right. She was just making sure your child did not get hurt.
    rochellecole

Answer by rochellecole at 8:00 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• i agree with the teacher sry but it was in the safty of your child
    Mother_18

Answer by Mother_18 at 8:01 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Sorry, I agree with the teacher. I do this at home also.
    Anonymous

• I don't see it as physical punishment, I think it was correct, the very thing she was abusing was taken away. If it had been taken away all day; I think that would have been too much but 10 minutes, I see nothing wrong with that.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:04 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Oh for God's sake. It was 10 minutes. If her feet hurt after standing after 10 minutes than I think there's a bigger issue.
    Everyone is so quick to blame everyone else right away and think their son or daughter is perfect.
    Get over yourself. It was 10 min, not an hour.
    And yes, if my daughter couldn't sit nice in a chair than I would agree that 10 min is fine to make them stand.
    Anonymous

• Sorry, agree with teacher.
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 8:05 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• 10 min of standing and you're calling that some kind of abuse? wow. anyway, i totally agree with the teacher 100% and your daughter should know better than to rock her chair back and to ignore the teacher. i think you should be talking to her instead of accusing the teacher of abuse.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:05 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I believe what the teacher did was perfectly acceptable, and it was for only 10 minutes and not for the whole day.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:06 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Yeah, I agree with the teacher.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 8:07 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Physical punishment is hands on (spanking type). Yes she did punish her. But not physically.

Answer by louise2 at 8:10 PM on Feb. 26, 2010