In Indiana it is legal for a teacher to take a rolled up magazine and hit a child so hard in the head it knocks them off their chair and on the floor

Where in Indiana does this happen and in what year? I live in Indiana and if a teacher did this to my child I would most likely go kick the teachers ass!

rochellecole

Asked by rochellecole at 8:28 PM on Feb. 26, 2010 in About CafeMom

• Not where I live in Indiana! NO WAY!
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 8:30 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• It happens in Indianapolis.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:33 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Maybe it's an unwritten law that they can follow.. NOT... I find that really hard to believe. I can see a paddle or ruler on the hand like they did when I was in school but not that..I was spanked and I see the magazine thing as ABUSE!!!
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:34 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Here is Indiana law:

Code Section 20-8.1-5.1-3
    Punishment Allowed Teachers can take disciplinary action necessary to promote orderly student conduct.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:37 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I do not belive it is legal for a teacher to hit a child with ANYTHING. I do not even spank my children there are other ways to punish a child. Violence is not what you want to teach your children. My sisters in law are both teacher also their cousin and grandmother. This is not true and if this is happening and you seen it you should report it!!!
    rochellecole

Answer by rochellecole at 8:39 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Yes, we can also spank out children in public in Indiana, BUT WE CAN'T ABUSE THEM! There is a difference between punishment and hitting someone so hard they fall off their chair!
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 8:40 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Here is Indiana law:

Code Section 20-8.1-5.1-3

Where does it say they can hit them with a magazine so hard it can knock them out the chair?
    rochellecole

Answer by rochellecole at 8:40 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I've seen it and the school system and State Board of Education agree it's legal. The teacher that does it teaches a honors class of students. Schools use paddles and they believe this is no worse than paddles. In Indiana parents may not object to corporal punishment. That is, you can't tell the school that they can't hit your child.

I tried for a year to get this practice stopped.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:44 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I am going to have to find out more about this and find away to change the laws beacause I do not belive it is right to punish a child with violence. I never got paddled or smacked with a ruler in school and have never seen it and I will be damned if it happens to my child.
    rochellecole

Answer by rochellecole at 8:48 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Corporal punishment is legal in 21 states. Indiana will be one of the last to change. Indiana is conservative and one of the last states to change about anything. Indiana has a part time state government and there isn't enough time to change laws. Not enough people care.

I homeschooled my children. My son would rather get eaten by alligators than watch his teacher hitting other kids all day. He was never hit. She would hit kids with me sitting in the classroom.

Now I live in Arizona. There is a great system in AZ of public funded charter schools. Parents have many choices about where their children can go to school for free.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:57 PM on Feb. 26, 2010