Toddlers and pillows

My son is 18 months and I put a pillow in his crib a couple months ago. It's flat, it's not a feather pillow, it's too flat to use to climb out of the crib with, and he is big enough to roll over if he needs to. I just read that children under two shouldn't have pillows and even after two they don't need them.

Do you think an 18 month old can suffocate in a pillow? Even though they can easily roll, sit up, stand up, and move around?

When did you put a pillow in your child's bed?

http://www.babycenter.com/404_when-can-my-child-sleep-with-a-pillow_7533.bc

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:09 PM on Feb. 26, 2010 in Just for Fun

• http://www.babycenter.com/404_when-can-my-child-sleep-with-a-pillow_7533.bc
    Anonymous

• my daughter is the same age and she is in a big girl bed. I personally would not put a pillow in a crib, NEVER!! although my daughter likes a pillow and if not given one she rolls up her blanket and sleeps on that. to fix that problem she can have a pillow but when she falls asleep the pillow comes off the bed.
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 9:18 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• i didn't give my son(s) a pillow until they went into their toddler bed. and it was kinda flat so i didn't worry at all
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:25 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• My kids all started using pillows when they turned 1 except my oldest. She was 2 and it was mostly because I never thought about it. Then one day she was watching TV and laying on my pillow so the next day I gave her one of our old squished pillows we didn't use any more. She also used blankets (not the fluffy kind...they have quilts and fleece blankets) from day one and had stuffed animals in their crib. They are all still alive.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:27 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Pillows hurt my neck/back. When I go to bed, the pillows hit the floor. I don't know if my daughter will want a pillow, but I definitely won't give her one until she is older. She always sleeps on her stomach anyway and moves around way too much. She would never stay on the pillow.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 9:29 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• My kids got a pillow by 18 months. Both are fine now. They are 9 and 4.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:54 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• All my children began using a small travel-sized pillow when they were a little over a year old. They would snuggle with it at first and then they learned to use it as a regular pillow. At the ages of 2 1/2 they got a regular sized pillow for their twin beds.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 11:51 AM on Feb. 27, 2010