Overweight and having another c-section?

How much more risky is it to be overweight? I'm 223 pounds, yes it is a lot but I have thyroid problems that I am trying to work out. I want to lose the weight and I do eat a healthy diet, don't smoke or do anything else that could harm a growing baby. I want another child but I'm scared of the weight issue and I've had 3 other c-sectrions. what do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:42 PM on Feb. 26, 2010 in Health

• well i was like 250 when i had my first two and like 235 when i had my third one and i didn't have any problems (but i'm 5'10 so i guess that's not as bad as if i were very short or something). they might have a harder time placing the spinal or epidural, but other than that you should be ok. gl :) o btw my hubby does anesthesia all the time for big ladies (and i mean like 300+ lbs.) and i have not heard of any problems and he does it alot.

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:46 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I'm overwieght and it hasn't affected my 2 c sections that i've had. i'm due for my 3rd c section in july, and am still overweight ( 5'11" 260lbs).
    Anonymous

• That's about my weight. SInce you're not yet pregnant maybe your ob or primary can recommend a dietician to help you with your thryoid and weight concerns?

Good for you for taking care of yourself for you and baby!!!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 9:48 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I think that as long as your thyroid condition is under control then it's fine. I would recommend looking into a VBAMC (Vaginal Birth After Multiple Cesareans), because it IS safe, and in most cases it is safer than an automatic repeat c-section (less blood loss, less recovery time, less risk of infection, less risk of injury to you or baby, less risk of incontinence, ureter damage, scarring and problems with future fertility and pregnancies, among other benefits).

If you are uncomfortable with VBAMC that's fine too, and a C-section can be done safely. I weigh 200 not pregnant, although I am tall... but anyway lol... it is safe. They do surguries on women who are 400 +.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:49 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• please are u serious..u ladies above think ur overweight..honey i had my baby about 4wks ago c-section..at her birth i weighed 378!! And about 3wks later I weighed 333...dont panic..before when i first got preggo i weighed 343...I personally think u will be fine..dont worry...
    Anonymous