Couple of questions about electricians...

I've never had to hire an electrician before, so I don't really know what I'm doing. 1) Do you pay before or after they are done & does it all need to be up front or can you do payments? 2) What if it takes them a couple of tries to figure out what the problem is, do I have to pay for parts they thought it might have been and then it wasn't? I know these may sound dumb but I honestly have no idea what I'm doing..

wahm_abbeyrose

Asked by wahm_abbeyrose at 9:51 PM on Feb. 26, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I have never had to hire an electrician, but have been around construction my whole life and can tell you an honest contractor will never ask to be paid all upfront. They may and these days probably will ask for 1/2 down if they have to buy materials for your job, but if they ask for the whole amount upfront DO NOT hire them. As far as the parts it might be I think you will have to pay for them, some things are not so cut and dry "this is definitely the problem" and trial and error is the only way to figure it out.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 9:56 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• We paid half before he started and the rest when he was finished. The other question I have no idea. I would assume so, only if you kept the parts.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 9:55 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• well whenever you pay anyone to do anything you never ever give them all the money up front. usually you give them a deposit so they can get materials, then you give them 50% halfway through, and 50% after it's done and passed code and you're satisfied with the work. make sure to get at least 3 estimates so you don't get ripped off. also if you get multiple estimates they should reach some kind of agreement as to what the problem is.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:57 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I've never had to hire one either. We have a friend who does our electrical work for free (we feed him, etc, but no money other than us buying the parts). We've saved roughly $10,000 in the last year. I'm extremely thankful that our friend is willing to do it for us. Call around for quotes for sure, and don't pay more than half up front. Most people like that want to be paid in full within so many days of the job being done, unless you talk to them beforehand about making a payment plan - but you'd be better off paying it all immediately.
    Anonymous

• My spouse is an electrician. For small jobs, he gets paid when they are completed. For larger jobs, he generally gives the customer a weekly invoice, that he expects to be paid within five days. He understands that everyone is looking to save money, and welcomes help from customers (like pulling wire). Be sure to check references.
    If you are in the Chicago-metro area, feel free to contact me offlist.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:42 AM on Feb. 27, 2010