Why do we sing "Rock a bye baby" to lull a baby to sleep when the song is about putting your baby in a tree and letting the wind crash the cradle on the ground?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:13 PM on Feb. 26, 2010 in About CafeMom

• I've always wondered that... Which is why I don't sing it to my kids...

Here's what I sing...  Click Here

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:39 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I have always wondered this.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 10:14 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I have also always wondered this.
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 10:17 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• That's funny. I remember once my son who's now in his twenties sang that song, when he was about 3 1/2 yo to his baby sister. and when it came to down will come baby cradle and all he said that's ok sissy can fall he wouldn't catch his baby sister out of a tree - it was just so funny then and cute. He's been there for her many times over the years and his youngest sister too.

Songs are just so funny. Hey and who'd figure that kids would have so much fun over centuries almost single about ashes ashes we all fall down and just singing it as a dancing and jumping song, when really what it's about is pretty grim.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 10:21 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I can't stand singing that to my kids, I get a really guilty feeling when I get to that part of the song.
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 10:22 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• nursery rhymes and original fairy tales were so awful! what about ring around the rosie? thats about disease and dying! lots of fairy tales were meant to scare children lol.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 12:04 AM on Feb. 27, 2010