Those of you who won't put your child in daycare, MDO, or preschool because they "might pick up bad behaviors"...Are you planning to home school?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:24 PM on Feb. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• Actually a better question would be - Are you planning on keeping them locked away in solitary confinement for their entire lives? LOL bad behavior can be picked up ANYWHERE. It is such a SILLY reason to be anti daycare or preschool.

Anonymous

• I only put one of my 3 kids in preschool for a year. But I didn't keep any of them out for fear of bad behavior. That they learned quite well from each other didn't have to learn it any where else. lol. We didn't do preschool even after that one year cuz we wanted our kids to have more free time for imagination instead of more structured time early on. But I don't think there's anything wrong with daycare if that's what a parent wants or needs. I was a homemaker and had the time to just be with the kids and do stuff with them.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 10:36 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I put my daughters in preschool because they were shy and I hoped they would learn to make friends and socialize. My son was already so outgoing and sociable I didn't send him/. But they were way ahead in writing letters and numbers and cooperating and paying attention so by the time they went to kindergarten they were just fine. My daughters had a great time in preschool and were much less shy. I wouldn't say it is necessary but it helps. And there is no reason to be afraid they will pick up bad behavior. They will be good kids if you raise them correctly.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 10:53 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I didn't put them in any of those programs because I didn't need a break from my children. I had them to spend time with them and to raise them. I did, also, homeschool them BUT while they were homeschooled they played Pee Wee football, were involved in library & community programs in the afternoon & in the summer, they went to planned events at Science & Childrens Museumes, they played with the neighborhood kids, etc. and eventually they all entered school between grades 7-10 (1 in 10th, 1 in 9th and 2 in 7th). I, gasp, enoyed the time I spend with them and, double gasp, they enjoyed the time they had to bond with each other. Nothing seperated them. Sadly once the older 2 started school peer groups seprated them along with a huge gap in grade levels. At home they were equals, once they were both in school 1 was a 12th grader when the other was a 9th grader and they totally drifted apart :-( The younger 2 are twins & did not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:16 AM on Feb. 28, 2010