The Butterfly Effect??

If you don't already understand the Theory it's very simple. Any change in the past would alter the current reality dramatically...

IF you believe that time travel COULD be a reality OR if you at least understand the idea of Time Travel... What do you think of the ideas surrounding the Butterfly Effect? Do you see it as a threat IF time travel were ever to become a reality?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:07 PM on Feb. 26, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes i do!...I am not going ot get into detail..but i do strongly believe in this theory,and i love the movie
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 11:17 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I don't believe in time travel cuz either way you look at it it's impossible nor will it ever be possible, so therefore I'm not worried about it.

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 11:30 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I find considering such things a good way to lose your mind. Who wants to stress over the potential impact of whether you throw out your used tissue in the bathroom or kitchen, or if you take your gloves off before or after your coat?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:23 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• HAVE ENOUGH JUST TRYING TO TRAVEL IN MY OWN TIME
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• I don't think time travel is possible, but for the sake of arguement, I do believe in the Butterfly Effect (also known as the Chaos Theory) to a certain extent... if one were to travel into the past for a specific reason, they would find themselves in a paradox. For example, if I went back in time simply to prevent John Lennon from being shot and killed, then he wouldn't be shot and killed, so I would have no reason to go back into the past to prevent it..., so he'd get shot and killed. Around and around it goes. However, if I were to go back in time 10 years and accidentally run over a squirrel, I don't think anything would be drastically altered.
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 10:27 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• However, if I were to go back in time 10 years and accidentally run over a squirrel, I don't think anything would be drastically altered.

Except that squirrel was destined to live in the tree outside the house of the cat that would die trying to catch it, causing the child to grow up to be an expert veterinarian who would end up being the only one at the scene of the accident with any medical training and would save the life of the passenger who would then go on to cure cancer. But since you killed the squirrel, the cat never died and the child grew up to be an accountant.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:50 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• We are choosing the paths that we go down every day. We are in the "cocoon effect" right now. We are affecting our paths in forward motion, so obviously If time travel were possible I do believe it would alter our experiences and our paths and possibly our destination at the end of it all. I don't think it will ever be possible. I definitely think it would be something not to play around with because we don't fully understand it. I believe in God and divine intervention so I don't feel a need to attempt to alter my life in such a way.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 10:52 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• Except that squirrel was destined to live in the tree outside the house of the cat that would die trying to catch it, causing the child to grow up to be an expert veterinarian who would end up being the only one at the scene of the accident with any medical training and would save the life of the passenger who would then go on to cure cancer. But since you killed the squirrel, the cat never died and the child grew up to be an accountant.

Or maybe someone else would have run over the squirrel the next day. Or maybe the kid would have become an EMT instead of a vet or an accountant. That's the thing, if a scenario like this were possible... nobody can say for sure what would be different, if anything, if the past were altered somehow. Fun to think about, impossible to determine.
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 11:02 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• But the point of it all is that it's never safe to assume nothing would be drastically altered. Instead, it's a realization that every event, no matter how small, drastically alters something, somewhere.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:12 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• Why is it called the butterfly affect? Im thinking assymetrical design or something maybe?

I dont think time travel is possible but I still wanna play, please. Maybe Im thinking more along the lines of a ripple effect: one small altering would ripple into bigger changes.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 2:11 PM on Feb. 27, 2010