One month old all of a sudden only poops once a day?

My baby started out pooping like 12 times a day. Then it went to maybe 6 times now it's only once a day for the past two days? She doesn't seem affected except for pooping makes her fussy. Should I call our pediatrician? Should I be concerned? We still have at least five to eight wet diapers, but no poop all of a sudden?

BABYJANUARY2010

Asked by BABYJANUARY2010 at 11:20 PM on Feb. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Are you breastfeeding?
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 11:24 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• its normal as long as the baby is not constipated.

robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 11:24 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Yes I am breastfeeding
    BABYJANUARY2010

Answer by BABYJANUARY2010 at 11:24 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• My son is almost 2 months now, I was the same way. He only poops once a day...maybe every other day now. I called my nurse line for my insurance and they said he is fine as long as he doesnt go more than a couple days without pooping and check his stomach to see if it feels hard in case he is constipated...also little techniques like doing bicycle kicks with his legs. My little man is fine, it's part of growin up i guess, if you are truly worried and feel you need to call your doctor do so. Mine said he was fine and just growing, and to enjoy the fewer poopy diapers.
    JennaJ721

Answer by JennaJ721 at 11:26 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Ok she was probably pooping all the time because she was getting used to the milk. My friend breast feeds( I did not) and she told me that her son will go like 5 days without pooping. I was OMG whats wrong with him. She told me that when you breast feed you are giving the baby exactly what it needs so he doesnt need to poop twice a day, because breast fed babies use what they consume they dont have extra stuff to poop out like Formula fed babies. Maybe thats whats going on?
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 11:28 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• It's normal and it's fine... infact a breastfed baby can go up to 2 weeks without pooping and it's just fine. My son only pooped once/week at that age.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:30 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Ahh the joys of an EBF baby. Around 4-6 weeks, many EBF babies begin going longer between bowel movements. If it's not dry, hard, or pellet like, there's no concern. It's safe and normal to go up to like 15-20 days. My kids: DD went every 6-8 days and DS went every 8 days like clockwork.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:50 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• it's fine as long as she poops at least once every 48 hours. Mine go back and forth with how often the poo, but as long as it's once every 48 hours then we're clear.
    newmom2bgtwins

Answer by newmom2bgtwins at 2:11 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• A breastfed baby can go more than a week without having a bowel movement; this is normal...

Answer by rkoloms at 6:27 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• It is normal for the bowel movements of a breastfed to decrease in frequency when the colostrum, which has laxative properties, is completely gone from the mother's milk after about 4-6 weeks of age. A baby this age may continue to have bowel movements as frequently as five times a day, sometimes even after every nursing. It is also normal for a breastfed baby older than six weeks to have only one bowel movement every few days. Some healthy babies will have only one bowel movement a week. When bowel movements are less frequent, they should be more profuse in volume. As long as the baby is gaining well, wetting sufficiently, and is happy and content there is no cause to be alarmed by infrequent bowel movements, and it is not necessary to give the baby a laxative, fruit juice, or any other "helpers." In fact, attempting to force bowel movements can have harmful consequences to your baby.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:10 PM on Feb. 27, 2010