Furious!!

I'm currently living with my in-laws. I have talked to my husband before about how they do nothing to discipline the grandkids, and they are out of control. Well yet another weekend they have all these kids, and they decide to finally get on to one. Of course its my son. It's been like this forever, Something goes wrong and its my sons fault! I'm not saying this just because he's mine, i've watched it. I've seen the others break something make a mess, do something they shouldn't and it never fails my son is blamed. Today he got into something, and my FIL spanked him. I'm here, I can handle it. But not 20 min. later the oldest hits my 7 month old in the face with a ball, and nothing! She gets a hey stop that and thats it. Which of course she didn't, and nothing was done. Your gonna spank one, spank all. Don't pick favorites. I guess more of a vent.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:37 PM on Feb. 26, 2010 in Relationships

• How about move out of their house and you won't have that problem. It's not a grandparent's job to discipline their grandkids.

Anonymous

• how about you get a place of your own and then there's no reason to complain?:) and also did you do anything when he hit your child?? geez.
    Anonymous

• I personally don't think grandparents should spank. I think that's the responsibility of the parents if they choose to discipline like that.

I do think that maybe all the parents need to have a talk with your in laws about what is and is not appropriate as well as what is and is not a pushable offense. Then consistency needs a priority. This needs to VOICED to them or this is just going to end up in a big disaster.

Anonymous

• If you are living in the home and contributing you should be able to discipline in your home not only yours but the others too.

robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 11:48 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I'm not living here because i want to. I'm living here because unfortunately we cant afford to move for a couple of weeks. And i'm sorry if you are going to have kids in your house you need to have some sort of discipline. You don't let a grandkid hit another, then not do anything. they have these kids all weekend so waiting to send them home and let mom and dad deal with them is just to long. And yes I did something. I simply told him that as long as I'm home, I will be the one to punish my child. If I'm not, then you handle it.
    Anonymous

• Those ppl r just being rude... I dont think its right to spank one and not the other... my grandparents were like that to my brother when I was young, never spanked him tho but they would yell at him all the time and the once time my cousin hit me in the nose with a brush and i was bleeding and they said oh he dont know what hes doing... he was 6!!
    Anonymous

• SOUNDS LIKE YOUR CAUGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF HELL. ONLY ADVICE I HAVE IS NO ONE AND I MEAN NO ONE SPANKS MY CHILDREN. YOU NEED TO HAVE A SIT DOWN WHERE YOU TELL THE GRANDPARENTS HOW MUCH YOU APPRECIATE THEM LETTING YOUR FAMILY LIVE THERE, HOWEVER, YOU WANT TO BE THE ONE TO CORRECT YOUR KIDS PERIOD. IF YOU DON'T SPEAK UP FOR YOUR KIDS WHO WILL. I HATE CONFRONTATION BUT IF YOU DO IT IN A WAY WHERE YOU TELL THE GRANDPARENTS ITS SENDING THE WRONG MESSAGE THEY WILL STOP, FAMILY MEMBER HAVE NO RIGHT TO LAY A HAND ON YOUR CHILDREN EVER MAKE THAT KNOWN.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:57 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• my inlaws were like that with my kids and BILs kids .... they ALWAYS favor them in every way shape and form.... not to mention they are alot odler than my kids ( mine are 1 &3 and they are 6 & 9 ) ...they never spank but just yell and say dont do this or that.....and when they didnt do anything to neice and nephew I just realized i would have to..... now if N & N arent listening I yell at them, and they do...if they are acting wrong or being mean to my kids..they go in time out......Now they are well behaived when we visit ( and from MILs phone calls, they act badly when we leave lol )
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 1:30 AM on Feb. 27, 2010