my 18 month old girl just bumped her teeth hard on the bathtub, her mouth bled, they look crooked now. what should I do?

it happened in a split second. i was rinsing her hair, i had one arm around her and she flung her head forward and knocked her teeth on the side of the bathtub. her front teeth look crooked now. should i be worried? take her to the dentist? dr? i dont know what to do. i feel awful, like a terrible mother. her perfect little teeth are no longer. please help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:55 PM on Feb. 26, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I would take her to the ER. My nephew just did the same darn thing last month. He is 26 months. He lost his two teeth. You should bring her in to make sure they are not loose enough to fall out, then they would be a choking hazard. Or maybe to the after hours at your docs office, if it is still open.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:57 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Don't beat yourself up too much about it. She is little and they are wiggley and slippery, there was probably nothing you could have done to change it. Big Hugs!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:59 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Does she have a dentist yet? If she does, they should have an after hours number. Try calling the office. If not you should probably take her to the ER just to be safe.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 12:02 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• Please give us an update when you have one :)
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:20 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• Definitely take her to the dentist; 18 months is when a child should have a first visit...

Answer by rkoloms at 6:23 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• If the teeth are just slighty wiggly...not full on moving around, the teeth should fall back into place and stregnthen up. I have 8 kids and have seen this many times, I always remember being freaked out the first time it happened, watch the teeth for about 48 hours and if they are still jiggly and crooked then make an appoinment with a dentist
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 6:31 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• I would call the dentist's office. They probably have an emergency number. Don't beat yourself up!!! Kids get hurt, and I think it's harder on us moms than the kids themselves. You can't prevent accidents from happening, that's why they're called accidents, not "on purposes"!! Hang in there. It'll be okay!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:47 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

•  Save yourself a trip to the dentist or the ER. I am a dental hygienist and have seen this numerous times in the dental office over the past 25 years.

There is nothing the dentist can do. The teeth might change color - don't worry about it. Keep an eye on her when she bites into food - you want to look for whether it appears to bother her or not. If she begins to tell you things like there feels like a hert beat inside her tooth bring her to the dentist - this is rare with primary teeth.

Don't worry about her teeth looking crooked. Teeth drift naturally and it will not affect the permanent teeth.

PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 12:48 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• yeah. there isnt much that can be done. i agree with prttymstng.

also, when i talked to a pediatric dentist they said the first visit is 2 years. and they specialize in kids who have trouble with regular dentists and everything.
    Anonymous