A 2 year old with the flu, and a 2 month old.

what do other moms do when one child is sick and the other is not? The doctor said that we should keep our children in seperate homes until my 2 year old doesn't have a fever, I mean is this really a realistic thing to do remove one child so the other doesn't catch it.

robinalbright

Asked by robinalbright at 12:19 AM on Feb. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• I always kept my kids together. That is how they built up their immune systems. not sure if you breast feed but times like this make for much better results if you do. Breast fed babies are less likely to fall ill.

I use tea tree oil and swab nostrils and ears and I also wash hands and wipe noses. It is all part of the family fun.
    SFerber

Answer by SFerber at 12:21 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• I have three kids, and no other house to send the sick child to, so that is just not going to happen! Basically when one child is sick I try to encourage that child to flop in an alternate room to keep some distance (the 'if you go lay in Mom and Dad's room you can watch anything on tv that you want all by yourself!' ploy usually works.) I encourage a whole lot of hand washing, for myself and for all of the kids, sick or not. Since you have a 2 month old who is not yet mobile or really interacting with the sibling, I think you have a good chance of heading it off if you practice good handwashing for you and your toddler and keep the toddler's hands off the baby.
    Good luck... sometimes we've lucked out an had no one else come down with it... other times it sweeps the house because many illnesses are contagious before symptoms start. Hope the baby stays well!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:22 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• i would eat candy corns
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• Just go clorox wipe crazy and keep the 2yr old away from the baby, not breathing on, touching going within 5 feet. The separate house crap is well crap who the hell can do that.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 12:28 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• my 2 yr old got sick for the first time ever a couple of months ago, and her brother was 4 months. she had a feve and cough and stuffy nose and was miserable. he did get a runny/stuffy nose but that was it. they are both nursing. the baby exclusivley of course. when their older brother is sick he stays at his moms though. no need to spread illness if we don't have to.
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 3:07 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• That is ridiculous. My 3 year old has the flu back in October. My baby was like 8 months old. I was prepared to take him in if I had to but thankfully I was still BFing so he didn't catch it.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:35 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• Just keep them separated as best you can. It shouldn't be too tough since the baby isn't mobile yet. Good Luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:46 AM on Feb. 27, 2010