How early can I transition my son to a toddler bed?

He is 14 months now so I am sure its prob a bit early just curious b/c I want to start looking for one for him. He isn't trying to climb out of the crib yet, thankfully! :)

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 12:22 AM on Feb. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• when hes old enough to eat candy corns
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• No that isn't too early a lot of people do it at 1, my DD did it when she was 18 months. As long as the bed has some kind of rails you are fine.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 12:25 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• candy corn huh? Alrighty then...
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 12:26 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• I would totally wait forever! Keep him in his crib until college :p jk

We moved our youngest too early and regret it immensely. He was a wonderful sleeper until we switched him to a toddler bed. Now he wakes up his brother and runs around and causes mischief, when before we would out him in his bed and he would just go to sleep. I really would recommend keeping the crib until he tries to climb out on his own. Why mess with a good thing?
    When you do decide to switch, put the new bed in the room for a couple of days and make sure to tell him what a bog boy he is getting to be and he is getting so big he needs a new bed. Most kids are sooo excited for the big kid bed, they transfer over relatively easily. The problem come with keeping them in it.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:27 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• i switched my ds when he was only like 13 months because he tried to climb out of his crib and that was not something i wanted to deal with lol so we got him a little car bed nd he absolutely loved it
    serenaxxmarie

Answer by serenaxxmarie at 12:31 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• I was actually going to ask this same question. My daughter is 19 months old and I am planning on doing it. I'm just going to go over her room from top to bottom, make sure everythings proofed and then I'm only across the hall and she already calls "Mommy" first thing when she gets up.
    D.Tetz

Answer by D.Tetz at 12:39 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• we switched our daughter at 18 months for potty training purposes. we switched our son at 17 months, he never liked the crib and goes to bed much better this way.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 2:19 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• It's really up to you. I switched my first as soon as he climbed out of his crib at 18 months. This one is 13 months but is more adventurous and I'm considering going ahead and putting it up even if it's just to be in his room for him to get used to or to try out for naps.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 8:41 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• my son is 15 months, and we just switched him 2 days ago. he actually is doing great. he sleeps all night still without getting up. his nap, he got up and went to his chair and got his stuffed animals, then brought them into bed with him and went to sleep. so sweet :). we did it mainly because we have another baby due in june and wanted him completely used to the bed by then, and the baby can use the crib.
    sweetjpea

Answer by sweetjpea at 8:59 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• I would wait until your son was beginning to climb out of his crib. My daughter's crib didn't have a very low setting on it, and one day while we were at a wedding, the babysitter put her in the crib and she swung her leg over and almost fell out, luckily the sitter was there to catch her. She was about 16 months old. Once we converted her crib to a toddler bed, she was getting out of it constantly. So, my opinion is keep him in as long as you can or atleast untl 2 or so.
    mom2pres

Answer by mom2pres at 12:06 PM on Feb. 27, 2010