How can I be more patient with my second child?

I feel so guilty, I love all three of my children dearly but I totally lose control sometimes on my second child and I cannot explain it. For some reason I can just snap with her while I can stay patient with my other two. At least once a week I snap at her, yell at her or even shake her/squeeze her arm and she isn't even that bad, she just tests me. Help-how can I be more patient? Deep breaths and walking away don't help me because when I snap, I snap. She is five...is it the age or the child? I don't remember my 7 year old ever causing me so much anger and I am not an angry person....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Feb. 27, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• whoever said give him candy corns is heartless and unthoughtful. Why give such a rude answer to an obviously upset mother?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• I think there are some things you need to ask yourself about why you feel this way toward your daughter. Are there things she does that really annoy you, does she have personality characteristics that conflict with yours, etc.? I think you need to really try to figure out exactly what is making you feel this way. I guarantee that she is aware that you feel this way about her or will at some point at she gets older and could suffer from this. Being a middle child is really hard as well. Do you think your daughter senses that you feel differently about her and is looking for attention from you, even if it's negative attention? I admire you for realizing there is a problem and trying to fix it. Why don't you make a special effort to do things with just her from time to time and give her your undivided attention? I think you both would benefit. Hang in there and keep working on improving your relationship with her.
    Lisahi

Answer by Lisahi at 11:42 PM on Feb. 27, 2010