Hi, New Here. trying to wean baby from breastfeeding what are some ways to do it?

I'm trying to wean my baby from breastfeeding. I'd like to know of ways you weaned your baby, and/or ways that helped you to do it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on Feb. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• give him candy corns
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• I weaned slowly, without really realizing it or meaning to at first. By the time he was almost a year old we were down to 3 feedings a day...once before the morning nap, once before the afternoon nap, and again before bedtime. Then he dropped to one nap a day, so that cut out a feeding. A couple weeks later we cut out the nap time feeding. And then I decided it was best to cut out the nighttime feeding too, I really wanted to have his teeth brushed right before bedtime and doing so after nursing was really counteracting the calming effect. So then he only nursed on those occasions when he was sick or hurt and needed comfort, and that on-and-off nursing style only lasted maybe a month. Of course my breasts ached and leaked for almost a week after cutting out regular feedings, but my son never seemed too upset. So my advice? Cut it out gradually, and do what feels right.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 1:51 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• http://www.kellymom.com/  This is my favorite breastfeeding/toddler nutrition website! Just search what you need :)

squish

Answer by squish at 2:55 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• www.babyledweaning.com has great information on how best to feed and wean your baby.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:18 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• If baby is under 12 mos, replace one nursing per week with formula until done. If over 12 mos, drop one nursing per week. Replace with cow's milk if you like, soy milk, water, a solid meal, a snuggle...basically you can replace it with anything, or with nothing.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:23 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• My babies gradually nursed less and less as they ate more and more solids between 6-12 months. By the time they were 12-14 months they were just nursing 1-3 times per day. So, I didn't really "do" anything, just followed their lead!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:52 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• I waited until they were old enough and weaned on their own, way over 2 years. All babies should be breastfed at least 12 months. If weaning is hard then you know your baby really needs breastfeeding.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:03 PM on Feb. 27, 2010