whats the risks?

Ok so I had an emergecny c-section over 2 yrs ago with my son. Me and DH are TTC baby number two. And I really want to try having a VBAC my DH thinks it'd be easier for me to just have a secheduled csec but I really want to try a VBAC. im just wondering what the risks are and how safe they really are..I really wanted a home birth and my DH is in the medical field & knows how to deliver a baby & has before but he said hes to scared of the risks that someting might go wrong *God forbid*..so i agreed to do it a the hospital..so whats your insight on VBACS? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:42 AM on Feb. 27, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• let me eat a candy corn and i will get back to this question. they make me smart
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• join the Natural Pregnancy and Childbirth group...i know you can have a VBAC, my MIL had 3 VBACS...it's it totally safe!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• candy corn..really?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• Risks with a VBAC are basically limited to a 0.7-1.5% (depending on where you look) increase in risk of uterine rupture -- and that number includes everything from asympomatic ruptures that heal on their own to serious ones resulting in death of mom or baby, which are very very very very very rare. Other than that, the risks are the same as with any vaginal birth, and even ruptures can happen to women with no previous uterine surgery, it's just a little higher for a VBAC.

I had a VBAC, and I much preferred it over my (scheduled) C-section. My C was as good an experience as it could have been -- no complications, quick and easy recovery, was out and about (carefully) in less than a week. But with 2 kids to take care of, that would have been different. With the VBAC, I was back to 100% in a matter of days instead of weeks.

There's not much room here, but any other questions, feel free to message me. HTH! :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:04 PM on Feb. 27, 2010