Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you do when your husbands ex wife was getting money at check cashing places from his paychecks without his knowledge?

She was getting money from check cash places off of his paychecks because she didn't have a pay check. He left when he lost his house and several of his cars and found out in only month that there were almost $2,000.00 in overdraft and cancelled check charges on there checking account in 1 month. He got out quick at that point to make it easier on the kids. He thought that maybe she would get better in dealing with the kids. However, she has not and moved them out of the county we live in with out proper notification. She has moved them 3 times in the last year and has not been taking them to doctor visits and making sure he child with ADHD has his meds. Now that we are attempting to get residential custody of the kids we find out that every month of there check account was the same. For 2 years $10,000 to $15,000 moved in and out of their bank accounts while they were married. Any thoughts anyone?

Answer Question

Asked by moraprld at 3:51 AM on Feb. 27, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (13)
  • call the authorities and get her nailed for fraud. Not only is that what she is doing, but it will help with the custody case.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:03 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

  • Collect ALL evidence, contracts, files, papers, copies of checks, and turn it into your District Attorney's office for review. I'm sure they'd happily file fraud charges.

    You can also turn it over to a detective within the local police dept.

    Answer by Skepticchick at 4:21 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

  • Have her arrested.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:38 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

  • You file a police report. This is fraud.

    Answer by rkoloms at 6:07 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

  • He could have stoped using that account, stoped puting money in it. Opened a different account in his own name. He should get a divorce. and call the police.

    Answer by louise2 at 6:45 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

  • when you are married to someone, thier money is your money. and vice versa. he should have closed the account, but apparently did not? its not fraud or identity theft if that is what you are wondering for the finaces that moved in and out of thier account while married. previous posters are WRONG there. If he had her name on the account, they were married, etc. its not fraud. its poor money management certainly. but not fraud.

    however in terms of the custody case, your husband will want to collect all evidence of what she has been doing. it might not look good on him though that he never took care of this and abandoned his kids to her to begin with. but he can wrestle that out in court. i hope he has a lawyer yes? I hate to say this but it sounds like HE has been as lax as her in all of this. are you sure you want to be with someone like this? I am a bit more concerned for you than I am for him.

    Answer by sati769leigh at 8:04 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

  • Im confused. If they were married then she had every right to get money from THEIR account. If they were divorced than how did she have access to the account? Unless it was a joint account. I also agree with sati769leigh. Its not theft, no need to call the police.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:45 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

  • You also said he "left". Do you mean he just up and left his ex wife? He left her high and dry. Maybe, just maybe thats why she toke out the money. Please clarify.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:47 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

  • Hmm if they are still married. I dont think he can do anything.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

  • well a wife does have access to joint accounts. As soon as he noticedt he money missing he should have stopped using that account and opened a new one in his name. However by law he is responsible to support his wife and kids. Those check cashing places need ID and also bank info. Sounds like your husband never closed that account and if her name is still on it then she has done nothing illegal. And I agree with a PP if he abandond the family (ie kids) the chance of custody will be hard to prove.

    Answer by pagirl71 at 9:52 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.