Questions for moms with kids with food allergies...

Was your child formula or breastfed? When did you introduce solids? Did you introduce any of the foods your child is allergic to before age one?

Asked by rkoloms at 7:46 AM on Feb. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• i breastfed my first for a month (ill-informed, unsupported, sick) then formula fed. she started eating jar food at 4 months (yet again, ill-informed) and ended up being allergic to egg, soy, peanuts, and wheat (she was on soy formula because the dr swore she had a milk allergy, not soy... hmm.) she grew out of these allergies, and only has environmental allergies now.

i breastfed my second for 2 years (still unsupported, but well-informed and didn't care.) she didn't get solids till 9 months (that i gave her... i wouldn't be surprised if someone snuck her food... gr.) their father's family fed her eggs and strawberries before one... she is now allergic to eggs, strawberries, peanuts, and fish... but i know how to handle them, and i stick up for her when it comes to food she can't eat... i'm not always there with her (on her father's time) and i notice she sometimes comes back with a little rash, but he smokes...
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 9:20 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• Was your child formula or breastfed?  Both.  Breast for 8 months then formula for 4 months, then cows milk at one year.

When did you introduce solids?  At about 4 months.

Did you introduce any of the foods your child is allergic to before age one?  No.  My dd is allergic to peanuts and she never ever liked peanuts or peanut butter even though she never tried it.  We had our suspicions about her allergy when she was four and had a violent reaction after accidentally ingesting peanut butter.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:04 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• My son had a reaction to all formula, so I breastfed him for a year.

I am not sure what it was but I could not have milk while I was nursing him.

Now he is fine with milk etc.. He does have allergies to mold, grass and trees now.

I kept him on lactose free milk for about a year after nursing.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:32 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• He was breast fed then formula fed. We introduced solids at about 5 months. He got PB when he was 10 months old, and that's when we discovered his peanut allergy.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:37 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• My oldest daughter is the only child out of our 3 to have a food "allergy" - she is lactose intolerant.
    I breastfed her for 2 months, had problems, switched her to formula. She was a fountain after each feeding (yes, I burped her after every ounce) and the pediatrician had us switching to different formulas every month. Finally, he put her on the soy formula and she stopped bringing it up again and finally began to gain weight.
    I began her on infant cereal mixed with formula and fed by spoon when she was about 4 months old. She always kept that down pretty well.
    She is very lactose intolerant today and can only drink soy milks in the vanilla flavor because she says it tastes nasty in the plain non-flavor.

Just to point out....I did the same things with my other 2 children and they do not have any food allergies. In fact, all 3 children are healthy and intelligent.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 11:17 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• All were breast for a time - 2 weeks up to 5 months, varied from kid to kid. Foods were introduced too early, I've learned. No allergies in any of them, thank the Good Lord! They were given most of the high-allergy foods also before a year - peanut butter, milk, berries, eggs, etc - and have no problems. One child exhibited some possible allergic reactions to a couple of foods between 6 months to about 2 years, but has since grown out of those "allergies" (sweet potatoes, raw apple).
    Anonymous

• Oh - and my nephews, who were all breastfed til at least a year, have major allergy issues. So...there is NO true corroboration between breast and formula and allergies, IMO.
    Anonymous

• I breast fed for 2 yrs on first, 17 months on second and both have severe allergies (mostly grass, mountain cedar, and some mustards and salad dressings, as well as coconut possibly on one) and one has always had very sensitive skin.

lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 11:58 PM on Mar. 6, 2010