How many onces does a new born drink?

I am pumping breast milk and dont know how much to freeze. I dont know how much the avarage baby drinks. Help please,,,

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Feb. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm not sure how much your baby drinks, they all drink differently but I would pump for as long as she feeds. Say she uses 1 breast and feeds for 10 mins then do it in 1 breast for 10 mins. My dds never drank more than 4 ozs before they were 1 month. hope it helps
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 10:13 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• the hospital didnt tell you?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• Newborns typical will drink 1-3 ounces at a time, after a few weeks it should build to 3-4 ounces.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:38 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• If freezing, I'd freeze in 2 oz portions for a newborn. You can always take out more if needed.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:42 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• My son came home drinking 4 ounces at a time.
    ILoveMuffins62

Answer by ILoveMuffins62 at 11:47 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• I agree with 1-3 ounces, and freezing in 2 oz portions. I'm wondering why you are freezing milk for a newborn. Are you freezing milk to use later? A lot of people don't know that your milk has the highest level of antibodies when your baby takes it directly from your breast, and is second-best when it is freshly pumped. The longer it is stored, the more of these antibodies are deactivated. Freezing destroys even more antibodies. (Your frozen milk still provides excellent nutrition and protection for your baby, just not as good as directly from the breast or freshly pumped.)
    So, keep that in mind as you store and use your milk!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:51 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• Fresh milk should be used. It can be kept in the fridge for 7 days. 1-3 oz

Human milk is living and is also called white blood because it contains white blood cells. Fresh is better than frozen. Fresh tastes better. Every day, even every feeding your milk changes to meet your baby's changing needs. It changes as your baby ages, it changes to protect the baby from illness you are exposed to, and it changes in other ways.

It's really important to breastfeed the first 6-8 weeks. Your breasts actually grow more milk glands and ducts. Pumping may not be enough for your breasts to do this maturing. If for whatever reason you don't breastfeed it would be wise to rent a hospital pump for at least the first 6-8 weeks. Even a Pump in Style or equal pump isn't good enough.

It's very, very, very difficult to pump and bottle feed (and not the same) and very easy to breastfeed. You can call a La Leche League Leader for free help.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:57 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• my daughter drank between 1-2oz. they go through grouth thigns where they will drink up to 4-5oz
    Anonymous