UGH, electians? plumbers? HELP! :(

I tried calling an electrician this morning, to tell him that our hot water heater keeps shutting off. It stopped heating the water, and keeps flipping the breaker. He told me to call a plumber and have a new hot water heater installed. Tried calling all the plumbers in the yellow pages, what now? This needs to get fixed ASAP. Do I really need to replace the entire hot water heater? This is beginning to be really aggravating.

wahm_abbeyrose

Asked by wahm_abbeyrose at 10:28 AM on Feb. 27, 2010 in Home & Garden

• My spouse is an electrician/handyman. He replaces one or two hot water heaters a month. I would have someone out to diagnose the real problem (It could be a wiring issue, this can' t really be diagnosed over the phone).

If you need to replace the HWH, buy it yourself and have someone install it.

If you are in the Chicago-metro area, contact me offlist.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:30 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• It is a plumbing problem and not something an electrician would come out to repair or fix. A plumber may be able to get the parts but you may have to replace it. hot water tanks were redesigned about 4-5 years ago, so if your tank is older than that parts for your old one won't be so easily found, and the newer tanks are more expensive, but required to be used when no hot water tanks are to be installed.

While they may be at the top of the budget list I'd call Roto Rooter. (My ex-husband was a plumber with them until he broke his back)
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:32 AM on Feb. 27, 2010