Went to the Dr's and she wanted to give my 9mos old DD a catheter.

The dr suspected a UTI b/c she had a fever with only a stuffy nose (she is teething also but the dr said no.... yeah right!). She said the only way to get a clean sample was a catheter!.. my DH and I freaked out. We didnt do it. I have connections at the hospitals lab and got a bag that is made 4 babies to pee in and brought it to the drs office to test it. I think they hate me now but oh well. have you ever heard of this before? and was I wrong?

heatmac4

Asked by heatmac4 at 10:35 AM on Feb. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Hell no you aren't wrong. I would never let then put a catheter in my daughter. Do you know how painful they are? I had one put in to test if I had an overactive weak bladder and it was the worst pain of my life, and i've had two c-sections, kidney stones and gallstones.....not only that but after they did that to me I was peeing blood for a day!!!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:37 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• oh my god. ive posted about this before. my dd was cath-ed 4 times! she had a uit... then kept getting them (apaarently) i think she kept having an infection there bc she was cathed. i switched pediatricians and they used the bag!!!! i was so angry. i didnt know these bags existed until i switched pediatricians. my dd was 11 months at the time. now she is 19 months and doing fine ... but she is terrified at the doctors. i feel so bad for not knowing about the bags. and so sad she was cathed on 4 dif occassions at that other peditricians office! they wanted to do a vcug after her uti bc they said she had "reoccurring uti's". but in my opinion if the uti never cleared in the first place then it wasnt reoccurring. that is when i switched peds and they agreed with me. im glad you knew about the bags... bc i didnt! good luck.
    DRM0329

Answer by DRM0329 at 10:40 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• oh im so mad still. i want to post about my previous pediatrician!!!!!!
    DRM0329

Answer by DRM0329 at 10:43 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• mom2.. sounds like they really did something wrong on you. The cath is not painful or shouldn't be if its the right size.. I have inserted several caths and the person didnt even know it was in or that I was done. As for the OP's question, yes that is what they typically do to get a clean catch urine specimen for small children/babies. I don't think you were wrong for what you did. The Dr should have done least invasive first and THEN if that didn't work to do the in and out cath..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• DRM0329 mothers like you were in my thougts yesterday! your poor DD. she scaried of the dr.s know after her 9 month blood draw I could only imagine how she would be after that!

I have had one before when I was in labor. I had and epi and I still felt it!. The Dr tried to tell me they werent that painfull untill I told her that I had one before. then she said well there is a little pain we use a very small needle whatever!!. Must be shes never had one. This all comming from the a women that dosent have and children
    heatmac4

Answer by heatmac4 at 10:48 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• I've been there w/ my uncirc son when we was about 16mos old. Dr insisted on a cath, and nurse from hell had no clue how to do it w/ out completely 100% retracting his foreskin. My creative solution? I dangled my naked son over a toilet for about 45 minutes while my husband held a little cup out, waiting til he spontaneously pee'd to catch a sample.

Good job fighting for her. Find an awesome new doc.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 11:25 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• I took my girl to the e.r about that age and they were concerned she may have a u.t.i. too and th epossibility of doing a cath came up. I said no way. I think it would have been too traumitizing for her...its traumatizing for me when i've had to have it done! These poor babies. :( Well, they put a bag on her but when she peed, it didnt go in the bag and the nurse wanted to do do the cath again..and again I said no. So I had her at the e.r. for about 8 frrggin hours before she finally peed again,and I made sure I held her upright the entire time the bag was on so it would go in the bag,lol. The really need to invent a better fitting bag for baby girls.
    The only way I would allow a cath is if she were extremely sick and absolutley no urine was coming out...not for the convienience of time management for myself or doctors or nurses. I think they got a little irritated with me too but too bad.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:34 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• That's crazy. The urine bag, if done properly, provides a clean sample. I'd be pissed too.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:40 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• Peds are supposed to use the pee catch bag 1st then if after a while it doesnt catch any pee then use the in and out catheter. its a tiny thin tube on the end of a plastic syringe they use to withdrawl the urine after they insert the tiny tube up into the vagina to the "i assume " the bladder. my daughter had hydronephrosis and has had a few of them done to make sure she dont have a kidney infection when she has a fever or gets sick. hope my answer helped.
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 11:43 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• My daughter had to have a straight cath because she was really sick and DID have a UTI so it was the best way to get the sample. Its not uncommon. Of course its your choice but often those bags don't work well and no its not as clean as the urine they can get from the cath. I understand not wanting her to be cath though. My daughter was very sick and 11mos when it was done to her. We were in ER. With my last child at a urgent care they tried those bags and it did not work so she had to be cath too. Hon estly I don't feel they are trammatized but if they can get it in the bag then yeah do the bag.
    Anonymous