Does anyone know what to do about noisy neighbors?

The middle aged man next door is OCD is swear. Every morning he uses his leaf blower to blow "leaves". There aint no damn leaves. He's mentally unstable for sure. Since my hubby works nights and we will soon have a newborn, I tried to talk to him about it, but he was hostile and dismissive. Any advice?

LittleGee

Asked by LittleGee at 10:38 AM on Feb. 27, 2010 in Home & Garden

• What time does he do this?? If you have a noise ordinance in your town he could be in violation. Check with local law enforcement. IT wouldn't hurt to talk with the cops about how to deal with it... go in and ask to speak with some one. Honestly they would rather help you deal before it gets heated and you are calling them every other day.

If there is nothing you can do legally try keeping a fan on, the white noise make it easier to sleep when there is noise. I did that with both my kids b/c my hubby used to work weird hours and it helped him a bunch. (Added bonus to using a fan in the room - it it keeps the air circulating and some studies have shown it reduces the risk of SIDS)

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 10:53 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• give him some candy corns
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• I have a old man next door to me too. He love his blowers lol . the snow blowers and leave blowers I just wish he would get blown.
    They just like to keep busy. Nothing you can do!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:46 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• get used to it maybe it will soothe ur baby.
    monroemommyof2

Answer by monroemommyof2 at 10:50 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• Good luck with this! We had a neighbor that used to rev up & try it fix old cars during my kids naps, outside of our bedrooms. I put the CO2 monitor in my window and it set off the alarm... so the Fire dept had to come an it was a huge deal, they went over and yelled at him for being irresponsible.... that finally stopped it!! Fight fire with fire... do something that might annoy him at weird hours.... payback's a bitch!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• I have an 83 year old who used to bother me like that but we've become very close over time. Unless you can move , I don't have an answer. Don't piss him off he'll get worse.
    mommorgan

Answer by mommorgan at 11:31 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• Gammie, I wish he would get blown too! Hahaha that's too funny.

Hey Morgain thank you for the advice about noise ordinances and white noise, I'll definitely try it! It would at least feel better to file a complaint with the city, in case we have problems with this man's behavior in the future. I have heard that he has threatened neighbors in the past and has been charged fines.

Anon, oh God I can't believe how inconsiderate people are! Do you really have to have the fire dept come to your house to get it in your head there's other people in the world besides you? Lord people are freaking insane! I think filing a complaint with the city, if possible, might annoy him enough, being an entitled obsessive compulsive type.
    LittleGee

Answer by LittleGee at 11:38 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• Something tells me he's not breaking any noise ordinances. In our town, the noise ordinance is for before 7:30 am and after 10pm.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:07 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• Actually he was, on weekends in Atlanta, you are not allowed to use leaf blowers before 10am. So, we'll see how things go next weekend. If it continues, I will write him a letter detailing the ordinance he is breaking, and file a complaint if it continues.
    LittleGee

Answer by LittleGee at 12:12 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• lmao I have a neighbor that is an old man who loves his leaf blower as well lmao but I dont think there is anything you can do about it I would suggest buying a fan for the noise or perhaps doing something annoying right back every day at the same time for like an hour , blast music ,get your leaf blower out lmao have a leaf blower fight you could blow all your yard leaves in his yard hahahah i dont know we just deal with our neighbor cuz he is a nice old man
    Anonymous