How does your baby sleep?

my DD is ony 2 weeks old and the hospital told me not to swaddel her while she sleeps. We are giving her a little blanket to sleep with but I was wondering why we cant wrap her in it. They also told me to feed her every 4 hours. Which seems weird to me. We put her to bed in her crib at around 11 30 and she will wake up on her own around 7 730. Should we be waking her up to feed her? And how should we cover her? Just keep gving her the blanket ? Why cant we swaddle her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Feb. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There is some debate about swaddling. You should probably either swaddle her in a light blanket or put her in a bag-type sleeper so that the blanket doesn't accidently cover her face. Feeding every 4 hours? That may be fine if you are formula feeding, but if yo are breastfeeding baby needs to nurse at least 8-12 times in 24 hours. If you need to wake baby during the night to get up to that number in the first couple of weeks, then that is what you should do.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:56 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• In Dr. Sears' The Baby Book there is a paragraph in it where he says that new research has shown that swaddling inhibits the proper development of the hip joint. It is best for baby's legs to be unrestricted in a frog position, i.e. feet drawn together with knees splaying out, which they assume naturally. So, while swaddling is OK to do for a couple of hours every few days but its not a good idea to do it for prolonged periods of time.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:58 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• I'm not sure why swaddling would necessarily restrict the hip joints, it mostly holds the arms down. I use a Swaddleme blanket with my 4 week old and no one has told me not to. He was swaddled in the hospital and he definately sleeps better that way. Personally I wouldn't wake your baby to eat in the night as long as she is growing ok, but I know other people disagree with that. As far as feeding every 4 hours, I guess it depends on if it's formula or breastmilk. My breastfed baby needs to eat at least every 3 hours during the day, and usually once at night. I always just fed my babies when they were hungry.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 12:05 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• I swaddled my son until he was too big to be swaddled and he has no problems. And we NEVER once woke him up to feed him.
    My sons 4 now and breathing walking and talking just fine lol
    I dont remember ever feeding him every 4 hours. Idk, things change i guess but I plan on doing the same thing with my next child
    ILoveMuffins62

Answer by ILoveMuffins62 at 12:09 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• As long as your baby isn't a preemie, I wouldn't wake her. My 6 week old was sleeping through the night - 10 hours!! They will waken when hungry. Do what you are comfortable with. I know many will say it is necessary to regularly feed a new born, but as long as mine were eating plenty during the day and wetting their diapers, I wasn't concerned if they slept all night.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 12:10 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• i have swaddled my daughter since day one she sleeps better that way i feel and she is 3months we have boughten her a bigger swaddel since she grew outta her other one...they make them in all sizes! i love it i think its comferting for her to. i know she can sleep w. out it cuz she does at nap times but at night its routine for her now. as for sleeping thur the night like they said its depending on if ur breast feeding or bottle my baby is bottle and at 4wks she was sleeping thur the night 9-5 and id give her a bottle at 5 then shed go back down till 9.
    douellette

Answer by douellette at 12:15 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• I swaddled both my babies until they started getting out of it. As far as feeding every 4 hours, thats just crazy. Feed when they are hungry, whether breast feeding or not. My baby girl ate every two hours for a long time. Sometimes sooner. My son who was my first they told me to feed every 4 hours and not sooner, I took their advice and let me tell you, "I paid the price" lol. It was awful. I wouldn't wake them to feed them. Thats just me. I know they say when they are that young to do so, but I personally don't agree w/ it. If you don't feel comfortable w/ the swaddling, maybe cover her w/ a blanket that is knitted where theres holes in it. I used them and felt safer.
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 12:15 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• Well it sounds like the hospital told you everything wrong.

Here are the current SIDs official recommendations. Babies should sleep in the same room with their mothers. No blankets covering the baby. The baby should wear warm enough clothes or a blanket sleeper or bag. It's ok to swaddle with special swaddle blankets, not a regular blanket. There should be a fan in the room. The baby should not be over-heated. The baby should be breastfed on demand. If the baby is not breastfed it should sleep with a pacifier.

You should check all recommendations with official websites. Never listen to someone that is not telling you official recommendations. Use google.

Sleeping with your baby is ok if you are breastfeeding and using safe sleep practices. Exclusive breastfeeding with no bottles or pacifiers is recommended for 6 months before starting solids.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:17 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• If your baby doesn't need to be swaddled to sleep better, then there's no need. But don't put a loose blanket in the crib with her, as it can be a suffocation hazard if it covers her face. Putting her in a blanket sleeper or one of those blanket "bags" is fine.

And as long as she's eating enough and producing enough wet/dirty diapers through the course of the day, there's no need to wake her to feed her. You would only have to do that if she's falling short of the 6-8 diapers that mean she's getting enough to eat.

Sounds like you're a lucky mama. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:33 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• I swaddled both of my children, as did the nurses/doctors when they were born. I have never been told not to swaddle my baby. Just make sure the blanket isn't up around their face, or covering any part of their face. Also when you swaddle only keep them in a onsie, so they don't overheat during the night.

The doctors at the hospital told me to wake the baby when it was time to feed, but I like many other mothers, didn't wake up nautrally if the baby didn't. I slept right through when the baby did. It is okay to let them sleep through the night as long as they are still gradually gaining weight and are healthy.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:11 PM on Feb. 27, 2010