What could cause numbing in the left hand?

I have a dr appointment for Wednsday, but figured I would look here to. Has anyone ever had numbness in their left hand in the pinky and ring finger? It started about 3 weeks ago and seems to be getting worse. Any ideas or experience would be helpful.

jnsdrf

Asked by jnsdrf at 12:11 PM on Feb. 27, 2010 in Health

• It's called Ulnar tunnel syndrome. It's caused by repetitive motion. I have it from keeping my elbows bent for extended periods of time (while on the computer, etc.) The ulnar nerve runs up through the you elbow, and gets pinched. I discussed it with my doctor at one point and he told me to stop keeping my elbows bent for extended periods of time.
    acollins09

Answer by acollins09 at 12:48 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• A pinched nerve. I then go and see my Chiropractor and it is all better.

Anonymous

• pinched nerve caused by repetitive motion, similar to carpal tunnel but not the same since CT effects the other half of the hand.

wearing a wrist brace will help.

I have it from crocheting.
    Anonymous

• Over use. A sprain. Somethings like that!! Try a massage on it! Best of Luck! Hope you find out what it is soon.
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 12:42 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• I would have numbness in the other three fingers, and excruciating pain in the ring and pinky... with the pain shooting down between my middle and ring fingers. I got the wrist brace... wore it for 2 months and was finally able to put pressure on my hand again. I dont have to wear the brace anymore... but do try that. You could also do the alternating cold/hot water... IDK why it helps, it just does.
    Anonymous

• Could be Cubital tunnel syndrome (CuTS) http://www.cubital-tunnel.com/cms/ (at the elbow) or Ulnar tunnel syndrome (at the wrist)  http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00025. I've treated both in the PT clinic...

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 1:55 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• The chiropractor would be a better choice than the doctor - cheaper, and they'll put back in place whatever is out - OR if they can't help they'll tell you to go to the doctor. No unnecessary drugs either. My chiro is the first person I see when anything is wrong - even sinus or ear infections - and a simple adjustment is usually all it takes to kick the sick.
    Anonymous

• A Physical Therapist can also "put back in place whatever is out" with manual Therapy/myofascial release techniques as well. They can also teach you to stretch and stengthen the muscle to prevent a recurrence.

Anonymous

• It's called epicondylitis. Your chiropractor is practicing outside of his license if he's treating you for that.
    Anonymous

• OP here~
    Thank you for the answers. The reason I am seeing my dr first before consulting a chiropractor is because I have seen her for years and I trust her judgment. If she refers me to a chiropractor then I will go, another reason is my insurance won't cover it unless it's referred. It's just kind of weird because it came out of nowhere, so I was curious if anyone else had ever had the same thing. Again thank you for your answers.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 2:25 PM on Feb. 27, 2010