Someone please help me before I go insane..

My mom's boyfriend is so annoying. He always has to be right. He will start a fight with me over the dumbest things, such as, him saying they no longer sell whole milk mozzarella cheese or him saying seafood never freezes! He works as a cook for a small restaurant so of course when I go to correct him, he says he's been a cook his whole life so he knows more than I do.

Also, every time I say something I saw on the news or I found out to my mom, he ALWAYS has to add in that he already knew that.

He also butts in with the raising of my daughter. He is always saying stuff to her like "I'm going to teach you not to do that" or "I taught you to do that". He hasn't taught her anything, especially when it's something I have been working on with her for weeks!

Also, anytime I say something about my daughter he says I am wrong. Hello, this is my daughter not yours, I think I know!!

HOW DO I DEAL WITH HIM??

imamommmmyyy

Asked by imamommmmyyy at 1:09 PM on Feb. 27, 2010 in Relationships

• Don't argue with him. When he says stuff like "I taught you that" or "I already knew that" ignore it. Don't repsond to him. Yes, it is hard to zip the lip and ignore it, but you'll be better off in the long run if you do it. When he buts in, be silent and wait until he's finished and then continue what you were saying to your mom. Don't encourage him by responding. That's what he thrives on is people to respond, so he can prove them wrong. He clearly has confidence issues, so he's trying any way he can to appear surperior to others. Don't feed into it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:49 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• seriously I'd have a talk w/ my mom, who could then have a talk with him.

him and your daughter can be friendly of course but there should be NO discipline, etc... EVER, under any circumstances. if their conversation moves outside of music, school, movies, tv, and so on, it should be handed over to you or grandma

I'd plant my foot down firmly

hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 1:14 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• and as for YOU... make a habit of walking away when he gets crazy. I hate people like that. proving them wrong is more work than you need to bother with. just say something like "I'm gonna grab a pizza on my way home. papa johns uses real whole milk mozzerella and it melts sooo good. c-ya, buy!"
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 1:16 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• Ignore him. I have a DIL with serious problems and we treat her nice but just ignore everything stupid or mean she says. As least we are still putting up with her. I do it because she is the mother of my grandson. She has no friends and her family doesn't want her around.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:17 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• do you live with him? i mean does he pay for the roof you live under? if he does then oh well then just ignore,but if he dont pay for anything that benifits you or your DD in anyway,tell him to stay silent.
    Anonymous

• I would ignore him and not talk to him. When he starts to ask why, tell him the truth.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 1:28 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• First off don't waste your time correcting him. You know he's wrong so just tell yourself he's an idiot and let it go. He obviously thinks he's all that and you can't change that. Do your best to stay away from him if he annoys you that much. I'd remind him that your child is your child and if you need his advice you'll ask for it.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:33 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• There's ALWAYS going to be people who disagree with someone. ALWAYS EveryPlace. Let him mouth off. Before your daughter sees him, after you leave him or after he leaves you -remind daughter to be nice and that you make decisions on her care not grama's boyfriend. Don't let your daughter see you upset by him so long as the only thing wrong is his mouth bragging about things that are really not that important in life.

to me it just sounds like he's insecure and feels his job is not reall good and he wants to show that he's knowledgabe about some things.

Now if he ever laid a hand on your or dd or even mother or threatened any of you do what ever ya gotta do to protect yourselves.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 2:02 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• Ignore it. Don't argue with him. The more you stay away from going back and forth with him the more he exposes his insecurity. Maybe he will see it at that point and stop. Don't be surprised if he doesn't stop. Some people "always know more than everyone else, have done everything first and better, and wrote the book about it". It's just insecurity, keeping that in mind will help with ignoring it.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 2:31 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• Wow, that does sound incredibly annoying! Other than getting away from him completely, I have no advice...that's what I would do.

Anonymous