Do you have lady bugs by you any more?

Remember seeing a lady bug and smiling? Singing the lady bug song? We no longer have them in the midwest. In WI. We have the nasty asian ones. That are a nuisance. That the DNR brought to live one season and die off. But I haven't seen any cute real lady bugs! Does anyone elese have them in your area?

Angellinda

Asked by Angellinda at 1:10 PM on Feb. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• They thrive in central Indiana. The buildings at Ball State University in Muncie, IN are limestone and the ladybugs like to live on the walls, inside and out. Zillions of them. Some years when we lived in family housing they were a problem in the apartments. You have to sweep them up and out (hundreds). Some people would vacuum and then throw the bag away. If you smash them they leave stains. They didn't cause problem with biting or eating too many plants or anything.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:14 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• Oh yes! We are in Orlando and have an Oak tree in your yard where they are apparently breeding. You can see the eggs, watch them hatch, and everything. I guess I've been taking them for granted, because they are quite cute! =)
    itsjaimiehere

Answer by itsjaimiehere at 1:18 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• I rarely ever see a cute red one anymore. I usually just see the the gross and ugly Asian ones. I live in Pa if that tells you anything.
    sophiasmommy212

Answer by sophiasmommy212 at 1:19 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• We have them here in NC. In fact right now we are having our first invasion of the year. In the early spring and late fall they are everywhere here. They are actually out early this year and i'm not sure why. I'm constantly finding them in my house. I won't let my husband kill them, lol, if it was a spider tho, you better believe it would be dead.

Anonymous

• Uh, what? It's the middle of winter, no, we don't have lady bugs anymore, and won't see many til harvest starts in Sept/Oct...
    Anonymous

• Not yet but come spring we will, we have two different kinds, the nice ones that are cute, and then some that have a slightly different shade fo red and bite you. One year we were moving and it was like a swarm of lady bugs all over everything, one of the craziest things I have ever seen.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:07 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• When it's warm we have both in Missouri. We are not supposed to kill the asian ones- they have to be trapped and turned in; apparently they are endangered in their natural habitat. Anyway. We get both, and they get everywhere, and it really freaks me out when the population peaks because they get into the house and crawl all over the ceilings- a few years ago it looked like the ceiling was moving because there were so many. Ugh.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 2:25 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• We should see them in a few weeks....my kids LOVE em.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 2:28 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• In Indiana and Southern Michigan they're all over the place.
    We have the nasty biting ones up here in Central Michigan though.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:45 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• We are infested with lady bugs! In the fall when it got warm for a couple days our neighborhood was covered in lady bugs. I couldn't go outside it was so bad. I wish I had some pictures because it was so crazy. I guess it happens every fall around here. Even when it gets above freezing in the middle of winter the lady bugs come crawling out. I found a couple in my sink last week. I can't wait to move and get away from these damn lady bugs.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 2:51 PM on Feb. 27, 2010