What are some things an alcoholic can try aside from aa?

I'm not sure anything will work..but what are some alternatives that have high success rates...although I'm sure it depends on the person...this person has medium will power...and is easily influenced by peers...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:16 PM on Feb. 27, 2010 in Relationships

• There's a medication called Anabuse that makes the person extremely ill when they drink alcohol. Soon there is negative association. A lot of treatment centers use it-- you need to get a prescription.

I agree with the others that say the alcoholic needs to make lifestyle changes, like losing the drinking buddies. If they are friends, alcohol should not be the only thing they have in common.

I also recommend a pscyhiatric evaluation. Many alcoholics self-medicate with alcohol, and getting a proper diagnosis with treatment and pscyhotherapy may be quite helpful.

My father is a recovering alcoholic-- lost a lot of drinking friends along the way. His real friends adapted to the "new" him, and they're better friends now. Dad tried the anabuse--didn't help him as much because he was so addicted. But the psychiatric assistance was a godsend-- turned all of lives around and brought my dad back.

Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 2:10 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• new friends first off! leave the drinking friends behind. dump out every liquor bottle you have in your home those are some steps. But i dont believe anything will be as effective as aa
    Anonymous

• Make new friend (peers) that don't drink. Change lifestyle. Move.

Not everyone agrees with the disease model of alcoholism or aa. Just like quitting smoking or dieting and keeping weight off, stopping drinking may involve major life changes.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:21 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• Really need to ditch the drinking buddies, its just self sabotage to continue an association with them. See a therapist. Start exercising.

Anonymous

• it's always good to have a change of environment! meeting friends at a cafe for coffee and maybe some live music, going to the movies then bowling, going for a really nice long walk/hike, going to a museum with a group of friends....things like that can take your mind off alcohol!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:29 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• I've encouraged him to tell his drinking buddies..hey im trying to quit and i really want to, so please respect that and dont offer me any beer..but that doesn't work. We will have to move because I live in the country. Our neighborhood consist of 6 houses and believe it or not...every house on the block has alcoholics!! i thought what are the odds...we move to a neighborhood like that.
    oogiesmommy

Answer by oogiesmommy at 2:05 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• Ditch the drinking buddies and make friends that will help him to stop. DH was an alcoholic in high school (yes- high school- our area is like 95 % drinking, with a lot of it starting in high school). He has not lost control in almost ten years. We have no alcohol in our house, and while he does drink wine one night of the week, it is doctor ordered for his blood pressure. That is the only alcohol he gets, and if I think he is going too far, the wine goes. He needs to change his life to make it work- he can't go out with his drinking buddies and expect them to listen to him say he is quitting when they are all having a beer at home or they are in a bar. If he is not willing to stop going to those places, he may not really be ready to quit. You also should ban alcohol from the house. Period. It's like putting candy in front of a toddler and then saying they can't have it; they are going to get it. CONT
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 2:15 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• CONT You have to remove the temptation to get rid of the action. I know that if DH had access to alcohol in the house and he had a bad day, he would start drinking, and not stop. It would really help if he were able to get into some sort of support group; doesn't have to be aa. It could be a bible study at a church, or some friends from work who don't drink, or another sort of group that can help you keep him accountable and keep him from the alcohol. Someone he can go to when he has a bad day and wants to drink- could be you, a relative, a friend, a minister, anyone. Support is crucial. He can't do it on his own, and you can only help him so much. Good luck.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 2:20 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• Eliminating the crowd they are influenced by. If they're surrounded by drinkers, then they shouldn't hang out around those drinkers anymore. If they work at or around alcohol, then they need to find a new job. Basically eliminating the temptation. Then just build up their self control and will power by encouraging that they can overcome this. Counseling might help.

I don't know that I agree with AA, but maybe some one on one therapy might help. Alcohol is usually onset by repressed feelings, negative issues from the past, etc. Dealing with those issues can help greatly into kicking the habit.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:44 PM on Feb. 27, 2010