Has anyone else ever had to fight the urge..

to just grab your toddler and shake the crap out of them out of aggrivation or frustration?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:17 PM on Feb. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• no.
    mywonderyears

Answer by mywonderyears at 1:22 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• not that, specifically..... once when my 1st was about 13mos and very, very sick and we were very, very broke and spent our last $10 (LITERALLY) on cough syrup. It was before the days of dye free and he spat purple liquid all over me, all over the white wall, etc. I had been up w/ him all night and smacked his face.... it left a mark and I threw up instantly, I felt so awful. I've never spanked or barely lost my temper since then, 4+ years ago. I just remember cleaning puke and purple medicine off the floor and being so humiliated I couldn't even look at him for a week. Now I leave til I am clear headed. I go somewhere... on the porch, the bathroom, put my IPOD on ... whatever it takes to calm down and see things in a different light.

Make sure your toddler is eating something every 2-3 hours to keep their blood sugar up... and u do the same. it makes moods better and makes you (and them) more reasonable :)
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 1:24 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• Sadly yes. Have I ever? No. I leave the room when my kids are making me THAT kind of mad.
    Anonymous

• Take a deep breath and walk away even if just to the bathroom or bedroom and shut the door. I agree with hibbingmom to make sure they are eating enough. They can't always tell you what their problem is and sometimes act out bc you can't figure it all out. Eliminate some of the obvious problems. (put them down for a nap if they have been up too long, make sure they are fed and not sick, etc)

Answer by admckenzie at 1:30 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• Have I felt like it? yes. Have I ever? no. Thats when both parent and child needs a time out!
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 1:31 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• go have some candy corn
    Anonymous

• We all become fustrated as a mother especially dealing with a little one... of course ive wanted to shake my littler guy when hes acting up but i dont i just walk away take some breaths and then deal with the problem..
    Anonymous

• It can be a reflex to feel like doing that if that was how you were raised. If that was the norm for all the people you grew up around.

I decided I wanted to parent way different and I didn't want to hurt my children. I had to read books, join La Leche League, take college courses, go to conferences, and learn from others to change my paradigm and become the kind of mother I want to be. It was a mission.

There were times I was mad enough I had to walk away. Take a time-out. I was a single mom of 3 sons, one special needs.
    Anonymous

• You all say make sure they are fed...that was the problem. She was saying, "Mommy, I wanna eat", and I'd say, "What do you want to eat?" And she'd say, "Yeah, eat!", and I'd say, "Eat, what?" She'd say, "Yeah, EAT!" and I'd say, "EAT WHAAT!!?" and so on and I was SO frustrated, I just wanted to shake her! lol of course I didn't, I could never. But gosh, sometimes they drive me SO crazy!!
    Anonymous

• yes i have but then i grab a teddy bear and shake that. it helps. it's only human to get aggrevated but as long as you don't react on it...
    am2006

Answer by am2006 at 2:19 PM on Feb. 27, 2010