Book recomendation...

I need a book recomendation for my 14 year old cousin. I am looking for a book on feminism, that is written for teenagers. I don't want the focus to be on sex, but on being a strong woman. I have been looking at the local bookstores, and have come up empty. She is not a great reader, so I need something that will keep her interested, without going over her head.

asesnick1

Asked by asesnick1 at 1:34 PM on Feb. 27, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• you mean a ,men suck and we rock kinda bock? or be beutiful and love yourself? its all about girl power kinda book? why a book? give her a gift card so she can get what she likes.
    Anonymous

• http://productsearch.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.aspx?SRT=R&WRD=feminism&DREF=1546&SZE=100&SAT=101That link takes you to the Barnes & Noble Search results I got when I searched feminist lit and narrowed it to kids lit. The best one I saw was "Girls are equal too" by Dale Bick Carson, and "33 Things every girl should know about women's history" edited by Tonya Bolden.  You could also just get her a gift card to her favorite book store and turn her loose and see what she picks out.  For fiction that has a feminist undertone, I recommend the Gemma Doyle Trilogy by Libba Bray. 

preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 2:05 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• I am looking for a book about how to be a strong woman, and not fall into the culture young girls are falling into right now. She is getting plenty of what she wants, including designer handbags, cool clothes, and pretty stuff. I was hoping to get her something with a little substance, so she doesn't get lost in the world of getting everything she wants, without learning to do for herself and take control of her life. Right now her highest aspiration is to marry rich. If, as suggested above, I set her loose in the bookstore, she will go directly to The Clique novels, some of which she will already be getting for her birthday. I don't care if she reads them, but they don't exactly have alot of substance.
    asesnick1

Answer by asesnick1 at 2:15 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1598697137?ie=UTF8&tag=girlsincorg-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=1598697137

I found this book for you on google. One review reads:
    "It speaks to modern society's way of putting pressure on girls to be perfect all the time. You're Amazing makes a distinction between the "Supergirl" (the stressed-out girl who is afraid to fail and always trying to impress everybody) and the "Amazing Girl" (the girl who tries her best, stays confident, asks questions, and makes space for herself and her opinions in the world). It's a great read, and has lots of fill-in section where girls can journal about their own thoughts and experience, and create positive and affirming text messages to send to each other. Very empowering!"

I hope this helps.
    Lydiasmamma

Answer by Lydiasmamma at 2:27 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• Designer handbags at 14? Wow that must be nice. Have you considered maybe getting her a subscription to a magazine? One that is geared more towards what you are looking for? Maybe having something coming in monthly or even bi-monthly would keep it fresh in her mind. Something like cicada or discovery girls, I have seen other good ones I just cant find them online right now.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:41 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• In light of your 2:15 post, I would say start her out with Libba Bray's Gemma Doyle Trilogy. It is a series of books based in Victorian England; they follow the life of a girl whose mother has died and she has been sent to finishing school, where she finds she does not fit well with the girls whose only goals are to marry a rich man and have lots of roses and social parties. It has many different levels, but the main theme is that you (the proverbial girl) can do whatever you want and you shouldn't let society sway you. It is very feminist in an understated way; the author is also very feminist. The first book has an interview in the back where she goes on a lovely tirade about how she didn't work so hard in the 70s for the way things are now etc. After she gets that, if she likes it, I would start funneling more of the serious books her way. If she doesn't like it, oh well. Gothic feminism isn't for everyone.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 2:42 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• I only have a boy and all nephews, so have not been girl book shopping specifically, but have seen ones like you are trying to find in the parenting section or in the memoirs.
    Also I think this is a great idea, sometimes its the gifts they dont ask for that kids end up liking best and were picked with the most thought.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 6:17 PM on Feb. 27, 2010