cub scout/brownies?

how old are they, as opposed to girl scout/boy scout?

also are they generally pretty accepting of homeschooling kids/families or snobby about them?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 1:43 PM on Feb. 27, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Brownies are Girl Scouts.
    Daisies are kindergarten-1st grade (5-7 years old)
    Brownies are 2nd & 3rd grade (7-9 years old)
    Junior Scouts are 4th & 5th grade (9-11 years old)
    Then I believe Cadettes are next for 6th-8th grades (11-14 years old)
    and then Senior Scouts for the high school girls.
    No clue about the boys. I won't let my son join because their values don't mesh with mine and they discriminate. Girl Scouts aren't like that (I have one in her last year of Daisies who can't wait to go onto Brownies and my oldest decided to quit after Brownies).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:40 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• I couldn't tell you. Sorry. Personally I would never let my kids belong to such a hateful organization. PERIOD!
    Anonymous

• First off brownies are girl scouts, girl scouts is not set up like cub/boy scouts, you enter girl scouts in kindy or age 5 as a daisy and move up to brownies at 2nd grade and then from there, many of us as moms are still girl scouts even through we are active only through our daughters.

Cub scouts starts at 1st grade or 6 y/o, it really depends how the pack is chartered some go by grade some go by age. Once a boy has reached grade 5 or 10 y/o he moves up to boy scouts, if by grade and moving up from cub scouts the boy will normally transition in february or march of his 5th grade year.

I hope that makes sense. Both are very accepting of homeschooled children, even if a pack or troop is sponsered by a school it doesnt mean you have to be enrolled there, our cub scout pack is sponsored by one school but we have boys from all of hte area scools and a few that are home schooled. Churches also sponsor the boys.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:51 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• I dnt know nor do i plan on putting my kid in that kinda stuff,but i think they are friendly towards everyone
    Anonymous

• It depends on the troop on how accepting they are of homeschooling kids. I had boys and Boy Scouts was easier than Cub Scouts. The Cub Scout packs in our city were all school based so my sons didn't fit in real well. Boy Scouts was great. Most Boy Scout troops are church based and boys come from different schools. If there was only one middle school and one high school in your city if might be difficult because all the boys would go to the same school.

What set my boys apart in scouts is how much better behaved they were and that they had more skills. When my oldest son started Boy Scouts the leaders were concerned he might be abused. They never had a boy in the troop that would do what he was asked to do. They asked to meet me to check me out to see if I was beating my 6' son into submission. I'm 5'2" and weighed 100 pounds.

I was always involved with them. I was even Cub Master for a year. We enjoyed scouting.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:51 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• yes they are accepting of homeschoolers. many citys even have groups just for homechoolers. Cubscouts starts at 6 y/o (1st grade), I think it goes to 4th grade then they transfer to boyscouts. I can't remember.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 1:53 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• My advice is get involved if your going to put your child in, typically with girl scouts I have found both when i was a chid and now with a daisy of my own that, the girls scout leaders do really well managing things on their own and while they need paretn involvement it isnt an over whelming amout of time you have to give.

With cub scouts, I am the den leader LOL, I found that getting involved was extremely crucial to the success of the pack becuase it is run very differently from what I can tell. I have been told with boy scouts that my time will be freed up quite a bit. So in 2 years I will move my son on the boy scouts and then most likely give more time to my daughters troop.

Any group can seem snobby if you dont get involved and get to know them, so far I have had great experiences and have enjoyed it.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:58 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• Brownies are typically in 2-3 grade. Brownies are Girl Scouts, as "Girl Scouts" includes Daisies (K-1), Brownies (2nd-3rd), Juniors (4th-5th), Cadettes (6th-8th) and Seniors(9th-12th). Cub Scouts are 1st through 5th grades and include the ranks of Tiger, Wolf, Bear, and Webelo. How accepting a troop or pack would be of home schooled children would pretty much depend on the kids and parents that are involved. My husband's Boy Scout troop is very accepting of all children. The Girl Scout troop I was in as a child was made up pretty much of girls I was in school with.
    acollins09

Answer by acollins09 at 1:58 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• i was in girls scots since 1st grade and at that time i was a brownie. I loved it. My group was very respectful honest and caring. They was very accepting of kids that was home schooled!! But when my younder sisters (7 yr difference) joined and there friend that was home schooled joined there leader was very snobby toward her until i said something and called the main office. and then it was fine after that. If the leader is snooby because your child is home school thats not really what being a girl scott means.
    Anonymous