Why does my one year old cry so much? Is this normal?

My daughter is 13mths old. Most of her day is spent crying. We were doing so well with sign language but now when she wants something, doesn't want something, is tired, whatever the case is...she cries. I go to school so when I'm doing my homework I can never get it done because she climbs in my lap throws her self on my legs and what? cries? I have never seen a one year old cry so much. Is is normal? Am I doing something wrong? I'm losing my mind. I get nothing done with her fits and such.

am2006

Asked by am2006 at 1:58 PM on Feb. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's possible that she just simply wants your attention. She may feel as though she doesn't get enough time with you. Try setting aside a couple hours a day of just time with you and her. Playing, reading, watching videos, whatever it is. Encourage her to speak. Sign language is great, don't get me wrong, but she's at the age where she should be learning new words to say. Encourage her to verbally express herself. That you're trying to help her, but you can't if she doesn't tell you what she wants. No, she is not too young to understand.

Watch her .. Is she pooping/peeing regularly, is she getting enough to eat/drink, is she going through a growth spert, or maybe she doesn't feel well? If there's been changes in her schedule or regular habits that might be the cause of her crying.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:03 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• Aww she loves her mommy shes perfectly normal mommy
    Anonymous

• When I went to school I remained on campus and did my homework there. It was quiet and I could work quickly then went home to tend the the children. She may be having strong separation anxiety over you leaving her. Maybe she's sick. Maybe she doesn't like who watches her when you are gone. Maybe she's trying to tell you something but can't verbalize. Be patient. You can figure it out. You can always do homework when she naps or is in bed for the night.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:03 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• I bet that's it. Candy corn!

That's the way 13 months old. They need constant attention. If there is more than one person around then it's not too bad. When you are stuck alone it can be really difficult.

Humans have always lived in groups and shared child rearing. Siblings, extended family, other mothers, and others were around to help with toddlers. It's still that way in a lot of the world. It's not our toddler's fault that we are living isolated and we can't blame them.

I take care of my toddler grandson and know exactly what you mean. I've had experience with 3 kids and I can't get anything done when I take care of him. I gave up and gave into paying 100% attention to him when we are alone. Some days another of my sons is home and helps.

He falls asleep on my lap for his nap watching music videos. I can use the computer with him sleeping on my lap. It kills my arms. I can't lay him down or he wakes up.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:09 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• my dd never did that when she was 13 months old, although I am a sahm and she usually does have my attention.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 2:29 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• DD does that with me alot. I work about 30 hours each week, so she wants all my attention when I am home. It makes it hard to get things done, but it is totally normal. She just wants to spend time with her mommy and can't verbalize it yet. When she really starts talking she'll "mommy" you to death!
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 2:55 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• She wants your attention. when she cries, try taking her outside in the backyard or somthing. Go for a walk. Give her some snacks. Draw her attention towards other things. What does she like playing? Does she likes books, singing, watching Kids channel. Mine you, my boy used to be like that. Observe her and eventually you will know why she is crying.Sometimes they like to listen when we talk to them. Good luck. That's all I can say.
    Anonymous