how can i get more breast milk?

my daughter was born 4 days ago (YAY!!) i had problems getting a good latch at first so now my nipples are sore, raw, and a little cracked. the lactation consultant at the hospital said lizzy (my baby) should be getting one and a half to to ounces of milk at each feeding and instead she's only getting half an ounce. i let her feed from both breasts at least 20 minutes each. i'm a first time mom i had to have a ceserean so i'm really sore and on pain meds. i'm trying not to get discouraged or depressed about this but i'm getting really worried. i need HELP!!

lillielpr

Asked by lillielpr at 2:41 PM on Feb. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ask hospital about this pill you can take,i dontr emmeber the name but its suppose to help its all natural too
    Anonymous

• just keep nursing. It will get better you have to give it at least 2 weeks. Make sure you keep talking to the consultant. Also stay hydrated. Dehydration can cause milk production o drop. Most important, try to relax as much as possible when nursing. I know, easier said then done. I was always in pain the first 2 weeks with all my babies, I mean white knuckle wanting to scream pain! Hang in there!
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 2:45 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• If she is at the breast how do you know she is only getting a 1/2 and ounce? Also its only day 4, you milk may not have come in all the way yet. Are you counting diapers, does she have 6-8? Give yourself some time. Keep putting her to the breast and let her come off on her own, next feeding offer the other breast first.. If you are pumping, it is really hard for alot of moms to get alot of milk out in the beginning.. Hang in there, and call the consultant again and again if you feel you still need help.. Groups on here and the kelly group has really good advice too..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 2:48 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• i took fenegreek tablets. you can get them at any Vitamin store. But you should consult your doctor before you take it. sometimes you feel the baby is not getting enough milk. let the baby latch you atleast for 15-20 mins and if the baby is not fussy, then he/she got enough milk. Take it easy. dont stress too much and just you will fall into places. Remember to sleep or take a nap when the baby is sleep. Eat and drink plenty of water after each feeding. Good luck girl and congratulations.
    Anonymous

• 1. don't time her and let her unlatch on her own before switching her; that is called demand feeding and it is the best way to nurse
    2. try block feeding: 2 or 3 feeds starting one one side, then switch to start on the other
    3. relax and count diapers. as long as she is putting out adequate amounts, she is taking in adequate amounts
    Remember, it can take a week or longer for you milk to come in, especially if you have had a c-section. If you are feeding on demand and she is meeting her diaper counts, don't worry about it. Stay relaxed, make sure you are hydrated and eating properly, give yourself some time, and join one of the breastfeeding groups on here- they can help you a lot and offer all sorts of advice and tips for most any problem you could have while nursing.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 2:49 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• Yea, just keep nursing on demand and drink plenty of fluids and keep your nutrition up sleep as much as possible, it will regulate pretty soon.
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 2:49 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• I am trying to figure out how you know how much the baby is getting. Get some vitamin E caps; after nursing, rub breastmilk on your nipples and let air dry (completely); then poke a hole in one of the caps and put the oil on your nipples. Store them in the refrigerator so they don't get rancid.

This is what worked for me when I was having supply problems:

Nurse frequently
    Drink lots of water, at least 6 oz every time you nurse and every time you pump
    Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby
    Take brewers yeast tabs

Answer by rkoloms at 3:00 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• If you know how many ounces she is getting that means you are pumping and she must be getting bottles. Pumping can hurt your breasts and breastfed babies should get no bottles or pacifiers. How much you can pump has nothing to do with how much a baby can suckle. Getting bottles messes up their latch.

It's not even time for your milk to be in yet! It can take up to 5 days. Babies are born with extra fluids to hold them over until the mild comes in. The 'lactation consultant' may be a nurse that isn't really a lc.

Pain meds are fine. It will help now that your nipples are sore. Don't worry about supply. Nurse frequently. Don't wear a bra so your nipples get air to heal. No bottles or pacifiers. Your milk will come in, even moms that don't breastfeed have milk that comes in.

Call LLL for free help & www.kellymom.com is a good website.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:02 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• How do you know the amt your baby is getting? If it's because you pumped to see how much you make, throw that right out the window! Pumping doesn't show how much baby gets. Nurse on demand, don't bother with pumping now unless you NEED to. If you change 4 diapers today, 5 tomorrow, 6 the next day, and 6-8 every day after that, your supply is most likely fine. Trust your body, because in most cases, it is perfectly capable of nourishing your baby. Good luck and keep me posted on your BF progress. PM me if you've got other questions, I'll help the best I can.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:52 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• Also, for the soreness, I recommend Motherlove Nipple Cream. Unfortunately, I've only been able to find it online and through my LC. It's olive oil based, all natural and works wonders. You can also use it as diaper cream, or lip balm. <3
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:54 PM on Feb. 27, 2010