At what age should I switch my dd from a sippy cup to a cup and how do I do this?

My dd is 21 months and she has been only on a sippy cup since she was 7 months. Should I start switching her to a regular cup and how do I go about doing this? Thank you!

brookes_mom04

Asked by brookes_mom04 at 3:07 PM on Feb. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think you dd is ok. Usually by three is a good age. When I switch from sippy cup to reg cup, I use a cup with a lid and a straw.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 3:10 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• The kind of sippy cup matters. Some can cause speech problems and then kids have to have therapy. Straws are fine.

You never have to switch to open cups. We don't use them in our house because we have cats that knock stuff over and drink out of cups. I use a cup with a lid!
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:17 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• 21/2
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 3:21 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• Your fine. My kids still use cup (4-1) My 4 year old can use a regular cup but sippys are less messy
    Anonymous

• whenever you feel comfortable doing it. With my daughter(3 yrs), I just let her practice with her cup of water after brushing her teeth. Eventually she got the hang of it. She still uses a sippy cup from time to time...mostly when we're in the car but she prefers her big girl cup. I'm doing the same thing with my son right now.
    grooveybabe004

Answer by grooveybabe004 at 4:46 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• you could try switching her to a cup that has a straw. my dd is 1 and was on a sippy cup since about 7-8 months and she prefers her cup with a straw better.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 7:45 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• My daughter can drink from a cup with a straw and lid. We do this when we go to a restaurant, because that is what they give her. She has been able to drink from a straw for like 6 months now. I was thinking when they say to switch to a cup they mean a cup with no lid. I tried that and it went alllll down the front of her shirt cuz she tilted it. So, since she can drink from a cup with a lid and straw, should I just do that completely instead of the sippy cup. She really likes drinking from a straw.
    brookes_mom04

Answer by brookes_mom04 at 10:08 PM on Feb. 27, 2010