what age did you switch your baby's crib to toddler bed?

My son is 20 months old. His is almost 3 feet tall. yesterday, he climbed down from his crib. the crib is all the way to the floor? I am afraid that he will fall from the bed and hurt himself while we are sleeping. Is he too young for toddler's bed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:48 PM on Feb. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• when they can climb out!

don't want the kid getting hurt
    Anonymous

• I switched my son to a toddler bed at 18 months.
    kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 3:49 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• i say when they start walking well they should be out of the crib. my ds was in his toddler bed at 15 months, dd is in her still at 19 months but that's because she isn't walking well yet. as soon as she does though, she's out of it asap.
    Anonymous

• I never had a crib or toddler bed. Cribs are way dangerous. He could be in a regular bed close to or on the floor.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:50 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• Gailll, millions and millions of children spend their first years sleeping in cribs without problems. Regular beds are responsible for many suffocation cases. You're so backwards.
    Anonymous

• We went from a crib to a full size bed. The toddler bed was so useless, and she hated it. She was about...18 months old.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 4:21 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• With my daughter, she was 2. I just put my son in a toddler bed in January. He'll be 2 in a couple weeks.
    grooveybabe004

Answer by grooveybabe004 at 4:41 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• As soon as you know that your child can climb out of the crib would be the best answer but sometimes mothers just know do you think your son is ready
    MOMO628

Answer by MOMO628 at 6:25 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• Our son was 22 months when he did the same thing. Time for a bed. We moved right to a regular bed (a double since that's what our crib converted to). I'd skip the toddler bed since they outgrow it quickly and it just adds another transition. You can always start with just a mattress on the floor. Make sure you fully babyproof the room and put a doorknob protector on to make sure he can't get out at night and wander around (or gate his doorway). It will probably take a bit to adjust but he'll get the idea.
    The other option is to buy a crib tent (just Google it to see what it is and where to buy one). However, they wont' work on cribs whose sides aren't even. Good luck!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 6:49 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• i just switched my daughter today actually to a toddler bed. its the disney fairies theme adorable bed btw! anyway, she just turned one on the 17th. i moved her to that bed because

1) her crib is my sisters crib and she needs it back for her baby that is do very shortly
    2) my dd is already walking and is def a climber and can almost climb out of her crib and i dont want to risk that.
    3) she rarely slept in her crib , we co sleep and we plan on continuing to co sleep. she sleeps in her bed when she naps in the day time.
    4) the toddler bed i chose is only about 4 in off the ground and has the side rails and all. so its safe and secure.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 7:43 PM on Feb. 27, 2010