Do think that a certain degree of education should be required of a woman before becoming a mother?

I've noticed that some women on here do not speak proper English and use words such as "worser and badder." I also see women making English mistakes that I was taught in elementary school.

It makes me wonder how a mother will help her child with his or her home work if she can't even speak proper English.

I know that this is impossible to actually make this happen but in a perfect world do you think a woman should be required to have a certain degree of education before becoming a mother?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:56 PM on Feb. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• Um, I personally don't think that having the ability to speak properly necessarily coincides with the ability to parent. I agree those are sad mistakes, but really? And what would the world do with all the mothers who DON'T have that degree? Eh?

I know great parents who never attended a day of college. If we were going to start "screening" mothers, there are other MUCH MORE important standards to base this judgement on.
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 3:58 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• No. Just because they don't speak perfect english?? How do you know that English is even their first language? People with superiority complexes like you make me cringe.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:59 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• Grow up.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 4:00 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• Yes they should,mayie they can all be as great as you.All a mom needs is to have a heart with love and i think you might be missing that,its ignorant to think you even posted this.Im more than positive there's things you dont know about,does that make you not good enough.
    Anonymous

• Umm, this isn't a place where I feel I have to worry about proper English and grammar. It's a place where I can hang out, have fun, and let my hair down. I don't understand why you can't just save your perfectionism for something else.
    Being a good mother has nothing to do with her level of education and everything to do with how much character, patience, and perseverence she has.
    Anonymous

• I'm concerned about the lack of understanding about child development, the prevalence of formula feeding, and lack of parenting skills. I think this is more important than basic ed.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:02 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• Some of the dumbest mothers I've seen have higher educations. It's like common sense has gone right out the window with education. While those that aren't very educated have learned english right along with their children.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 4:03 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• I would love to see parental education: child development, nutrition, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:04 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• Speaking proper English, does not a loving and good mother make. I'm sure there are women who are certified geniuses who are not emotionally intelligent enough to mother a child. You seriously have your priorities mixed up.
    Granted, they may profit by taking a few classes-but the way a person speaks does not determine how good and nurturing a mother they can be.
    Ann_Ony_Mouse

Answer by Ann_Ony_Mouse at 4:06 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• What would you do with the mothers who don't live up to this education? Or the women who are raped? Force them to abort? Force her to give it up? It would be nice if all women could afford an education and if all women lived a good life and didn't have to drop out to get a job or were never raped and have to leave school, but that is not the case. Some people have learning disabilities and can not learn English as well as others, but they may be your child's music teacher because they are a master at music or your child's gymnastic teacher or soccer coach. Everyone struggles with something. That being said, it wouldn't hurt if all moms had to take a parenting course, but the moms should not be the only one looked at here. Fathers exist too.
    Shlamoof

Answer by Shlamoof at 4:27 PM on Feb. 27, 2010