Do you think it is appropriate for the school to say this . . .

My son is in kindergarten and he has been throwing temper tantrums at school all year. His first teacher even exercised what the state of Nevada calls her AB521 rights and had my son taken out of her class! I am frustrated with the school because he does not act this way at home and I am pretty sure THEIR actions are causing it.

The last straw came yesterday. My son was told he needed to finish his work or he could not go to recess. He began throwing things and then went to the corner of the classroom and threw all the books off the shelf. The principal demanded I come to the school immeadiately. I was greeted with a computer slideshow of 10 pictures of the aftermath of his tantrum. I insisted again that THEY are causing the tantrums because THEY do not know how to handle him and this DOES NOT HAPPEN AT HOME.

CONTINUED

mominnorthvegas

Asked by mominnorthvegas at 5:08 PM on Feb. 27, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• yep
    Anonymous

• You sound incredibly immature... im afraid im not the only one in denial
    Anonymous

• To add insult the principal handed me a pile of books and school supplies my child broke and also an itemized "bill" totaling up to about $100. The teacher said that these items are not even school property, but things she has purchased from her own pocket as if to make me feel guilty.

1. I think all this destruction is THEIR fault because the do not know how to handle him.
    2. Kids ruin things. It happens. If you don't want it ruined, don't let kids use it.

Would anyone else be insulted by this?
    mominnorthvegas

Answer by mominnorthvegas at 5:11 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• I'd be interested to see what happens right before a tantrum. Too many teachers don't know how to handle young children and still manage to get a job.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 5:12 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• The teacher had no right giving you a bill when she can give no proof your child did the damage.
    Anonymous

• Your child’s behavior is appropriate for a two or three year old; it is highly inappropriate for a five year old. Please, please, please get a referral to a specialist in child behavior therapy.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:15 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• For goodness sakes, your child pitched a fit because he cannot follow instructions and was punished. Do you not ever punish your child at home? Maybe that's why you never see this behavior.

Sounds to me as if he's not mature enough to handle kindergarten.

As for the $100 bill, pay it and be glad that they haven't expelled your child from the school for his actions.
    Anonymous

• 1. The teacher SHOULD give you a bill. I was a teacher and I let kids use many things I purchased myself. Some of the wore out/fell apart. However, very few thing were deliberately ruined.
    2. Is it possible that the reason he doesn't tantrum at home is because you never say "NO" either because your parenting is so relaxed or that you know deep down inside that THIS will happen when you say no and you just want to avoid it?
    mommyjenny2009

Answer by mommyjenny2009 at 5:19 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• In my ten years of teaching I have never had a child that would throw tantrums in class but not at home. Usually it was the other way around, they had tantrums at home but behaved very well in school. I too wonder what would happen if you told him at home he had to finish or clean up something before he could have what he wanted. Do you ever do this? And he calmly does as you request? A five year old should understand what is going on and what needs to be done without throwing a fit.
    Anonymous

• Yeah, it's all the teacher's fault that your kid can't behave himself.

You can't blame the school for this one, and I'm GLAD they billed you for what your child destroyed. His behavior is unacceptable and you're making excuses instead of changing it. He is not behaving in an age appropriate manner and unless he's got some actual medical issues, like autism, then this is your fault. The teachers are not there to control your child. Teachers are there to give them an education. It is YOUR job to teach your child how to behave in public and in situation. It is YOUR job to teach your child that he won't be getting everything he wants.

What happens when your child starts a tantrum and hurts another child when he throws something? Are you going to tell the parent of the other child that it was the teacher's fault? No. It's YOUR fault. Own up to it.
    Anonymous