How often can I expect my breastfed, non-daycare, baby

to get sick in his first year of life? He is 9 months and has his first illness-a cold I think, although maybe RSV because that is going around here. He's not too sick, but it just started so...Anyway, I feel like a failure. I know breastfeeding isn't 100% but with him not going to daycare and only being around other kids once a week for 30 minutes at story time, I just thought maybe we'd make it the whole year without any illnesses...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:36 PM on Feb. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• mine is ebf, he's been sick twice so far, he's 10mons.
    Anonymous

• You are not a failure! Kids get sick!! You may want to get a (refrigerated) probitic powder to sprinkle on your nipples before nursing, or on his solids, to help build his immune system.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:40 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• Kids get sick, and that's expected. You can't avoid germs. You are not a failure. The fact is, everywhere you go, someone is going to be sick or have a sick kid with them whether it's the grocery store or mall...or even a relatives house...you just never know. Little kids are germbags. I can't tell you how much to expect him to be sick, just depends on what your child comes in contact with. If you can catch a cold, what's stopping your 9 month old from catching one?...even if he was breastfed (and no, I'm not knocking breastfeeding, my oldest nursed for 21 months, my youngest 31 months). You are probably a great mom, don't worry so much, he'll be ok :)

Anonymous

• You feel like a failure? No one claims breastfed babies don't get infections. In general they get fewer infections and the infections they get aren't as bad.

What's interesting is that during the second year when a toddler is breastfeeding the milk has even more anti-infective properties. This helps keep the toddler that is exposed to so many germs. That's one of the reasons it's recommended to continue breastfeeding until a child is at least 2.

Be proud you are breastfeeding. Your baby is lucky!
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:44 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• Thanks for the reassurance mommas!
    Anonymous

• What, do you think breast milk makes a kid Superman? It doesn't. It helps with immunity, but it doesn't put them in a plastic bubble. Most babies will get at least a cold in their first year of life because everyone's immune system gets weaker in the winter. During her first year of life, my child was barely around anyone but me and she still managed to catch a cold when she was about 6 months old. It happens. Your kid is going to to get sick. It has nothing to do with your parenting.
    Anonymous

• My formula fed, daycare going baby didn't get sick at all in the first year of life.... go figure.

Anonymous

• You've done well! My bf non-daycare babies were always sick by 6 months with a cold. Never had ear infections til their 1st birthday or later though, and never had RSV. Be proud of yourself, don't be hard on yourself! Give that baby lots of love and cuddles to help him feel better!
    Anonymous