Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is considered actual "contact" in regards to parenting and abandonment by a bio parent?

Actual visitation?
Phone calls?
Letters or email?

And what's the time frame needed before rights can be terminated?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:07 PM on Feb. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

Answers (5)
  • Any of the above, and it depends on the state on how long to terminate rights

    Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:14 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

  • dependson the state and the original vistation agreement. abandonment is ABANDONMENT. no contact.

    Answer by sati769leigh at 6:16 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

  • any of the above and/or paying CS (even if they never talk to thechild or send a letter or anythng... as long as they are paying cs that is considered contact)

    Answer by MamiJaAyla at 6:50 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

  • And some states REQUIRE the rights to be transferred to another person, a stepparent. If the parent is just not contacting leave it alone if he was to die or win the lottery or kids would be entitled to money for it. That is what my attorney told me when I wanted my son's father's rights terminated. When he was three my hubby adopted him.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 6:59 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

  • And if he calls, writes or e-mails once a year that is contact.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 7:00 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.