Playgroups: Moms and kids together in one room, or apart in seperate rooms?

I ask because there's a playgroup in my town, made up of the wives of my Husband's co-workers and their kids. I was going to give it a shot until my Husband found out that the moms sit in front of the TV the whole time while the kids are in a seperate room, totally unsupervised and doing whatever they want.

Is this a typical playgroup setup, or not? I just don't feel comfortable putting my Son in a roomful of kids where I don't know what is going on..but He isn't even 3 yet, so I'm allowed to be protective right now. ha. My Husband feels the same way and told me not to go..thank God.

ajtherad

Asked by ajtherad at 6:14 PM on Feb. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• No not at all a playgroup should actively involve the parents as well, and the kids need supervision in a group so nobody gets hurt etc.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:15 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• See, that's what I think! But I just had to find out if it's like that elsewhere. It just seems wrong to my Husband and I.

Thanks for your reply. =]
    ajtherad

Answer by ajtherad at 6:22 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• It depends on who's hosting, how many children are there, and the ages of the children.

When I host playgroups, most of the children gravitate toward the basement, which is essentially a giant playroom. Half is hardwood floors with a basketball hoop, soccer goal, bounce house, plasma cars and indoor tricycles. The other half is carpeted with a large sectional sofa, a slide, teeter totter, tool bench, toy kitchen and various other toys for smaller children.

A few of us mothers stay on the main level, and a few are downstairs watching the children. I also have a few toys set up on the main level by the kitchen (like a play tent and a tunnel and some blocks) where most of the mom's stay.

A few of the boys go to the loft to play with the art easel and the train table, and there is usually no adult watching them, but we can still hear them, and occasionally check on them.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 6:32 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• At my friend Jen's house, the kids usually stay downstairs in the entryway or the living room or kitchen, and the Moms are in the kitchen. At another Traci's house, the kids stay in the living room only, because that is where the toys are, and she has the rest gated off.

I think it is weird that the mom's just sit and watch tv. Every playgroup that I have ever gone to, the moms are busy talking, snacking, and watching the kiddos.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 6:36 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• It IS weird, twin_mommy! I guess a couple ladies (a wife and a fiancee) go just for the adult interaction (they don't have kids) and my Husband talks to their husband/fiance often, which is how my Hubs found out about what really goes on.

I don't see anything wrong with the way your friends host their playgroups..they def sound better than the one here! At least the kids get a bit of freedom but aren't being ignored by the adults. If, hypothetically, I did go..I'd be the only mom not watching TV, that's for sure!
    ajtherad

Answer by ajtherad at 6:45 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• If you are looking for a playgroup locally, try meetup.com You can look for groups in your area or by interest. If you don't find one, you should make one. I have tried a couple other ways to have playgroups, and this has been the best for me.

Good luck finding normal people :)
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 6:48 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• LMAO @ normal!

And thank you, I'll try that. I'm thinking I won't find much (my town is uber tiny) but maybe I'll be proven wrong. =] There aren't many moms in my area on here either, haha.

Thanks again!
    ajtherad

Answer by ajtherad at 6:55 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• Wow, they can actually sit and just watch tv? Strange. Whenever my group gets together for playdates, there's always something going on ya know? For sure us Moms chat a little bit, but we still have to look after our own children. One of the kids always needs something lol. Sitting in front of the tv doesn't sound fun anway, no offense, but I could've just stayed home to do that right? I like to get out and watch my kiddo interact with my friend's kids and get a little adult conversaion in too. Meetup.com has been the best for my family, just as the previous poster suggested. Good luck hon!
    Anonymous

• Exactly..I don't need to go to someone's house to watch TV when I could do it in the comfort of my home if I wanted to! And at least I'm supervising my Son..even though He isn't playing with other kids here at home. Sigh.

I'll definitely check out that site, thank you!
    ajtherad

Answer by ajtherad at 7:41 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• At our playgroup both houses that usually host have large open floorplans, so the moms usually set up in the middle where we can see the kids. We also have kind of a potluck lunch and try to plan at least one craft or other kind of project where all the moms are there helping the kids out, and if the weather is nice we go outside, but all the moms and all the kids are out. And we always help the kids clean up as much as possible before we leave so that the hosting mommy isn't stuck with a huge mess.

We do enjoy spending time with other adults, but I can't imagine just sitting and chatting/watching tv while the kids are in a completely different room. We also started a Mom's Night Out every month where we leave the kids home with daddy, so that's when we get to relax. Playgroup is definitely not a relaxing way to spend an afternoon!
    Anonymous