Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What to home school my dyslexic/ adhd 6 year old?

Do I need training in this.. I am very confused......I have been told by the dr. That I need to take course from Oronton grillingham.
Is there a criculum that work with the dyslexic child?
We are useing Time 4 learing and we though tit was going good....
Please help I am lost.....

Answer Question

Asked by four2bmws at 6:56 PM on Feb. 27, 2010 in Kids' Health

Level 14 (1,470 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • Homeschooling goes through the School District office. Call them and they will tell you all you need to know

    Answer by admckenzie at 7:01 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

  • Talk to your local School District. Also check the blue pages of your phone book for an agency that works w/ people that have your child's problems, they can also point you in the right direction.

    Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 7:11 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

  • Perhaps the doctor is concerned that you aren't knowledgeable enough to home school. ESE teachers have training above and beyond what a general ed teacher has. As a parent what training do you have? Do you know the 5 areas of reading instruction you need to cover? Are you familiar with the VATK approach for reading instruction? How will you teach phonics and phonemic awareness? What will you do to improve fluency and prosidy?  There are hundreds of things you need to know to teach a child with a disability to read.

    There is no curriculum specifically for dyslexia because dyslexia can be completely different in any 2 children. You need to do tons of research and if the doctor is recommending specific training I'd look into it.


    Answer by Anonymous at 8:03 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

  • Contact a local school and get an IEP; it will be a good guideline for you.

    Answer by rkoloms at 8:25 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

  • rklooms what do you mean? She can't get an IEP written for her son becausehe's not enrolled. The school couldn't write the IEP even if they wanted to because they haven't worked with him or evaluated him.  And getting another child's is not going to happen because they are confidential. Plus, they individualized. So one written for another student would be useless.


    Answer by Anonymous at 8:38 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

  • I have been told by the dr. That I need to take course from Oronton grillingham.

    I have a friend in the process of getting certified in O-G and it is a TON of work. She has her Masters in Education and 20 years experience. She is also the Mother to 2 children with dyslexia and its a challenge for her. Her best resource (even above schools) is the Dyslexia Society in our area. Google and find yours and go from there- that will help guide you in your decision. Dyslexia is so complicated that I would not suggest going it alone- you need support.

    Answer by soyousay at 10:19 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.