Does your teen have a facebook and do you care about the content of it?

My 17 year old daughter has one but I have looked at it once because she left it up accendently. The only thing that wasnt good was her language she used the f word and the sh word. I didn't mention it to her

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:14 PM on Feb. 27, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• thats normal language for a 17 year old, she is practically grown up
    Anonymous

• Yes, my kids have FB, Myspace and other social site pages... Do I look at them? NO! I'm not that controlling. I trust my kids and don't have a need to control everything they do.
    Anonymous

• thats ok as long they dont say it in front of you, if they did you should kick them out of the house.
    Anonymous

• my nineteen year old has one, I think I may have browsed it, but I don't think there is anything on there that would be bad since we are facebook friends too.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 8:19 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• I have seen what is on my daughters facebook, she is 17 and I understand there will be things I won't like. Also my kids are on my facebook friends lists.
    I do have a friend that has a 17 yr old with a profile on some vampire site..this friend really needs to keep better track of her daughter or care more, this daughter of hers facebooked me bragging about this vampire profile, I checked it out and went back to her and ended up lecturing her about the pics she put out for the public to view
    Anonymous

• My daughter is 14. I check her FB every day. Once, she had to deactivate it for a month because she dropped the f-bomb

Answer by rkoloms at 8:21 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• Our rule is, until you are 18, you MUST be friends with your mommy to have a facebook/myspace account. My sister does not monitor my niece close enough & she has posted very personal information, including, her school, her full name, her phone #, and the town in which she lives. With all the great updates she gives throughout the day - I'm going to school, I'm just got home, no one's here & OMG SOOO bored, Mom just dropped me & so&so off at the mall - she is a pedophiles dream come true. I absolutely monitor my kids & my niece.
    carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 8:24 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• My son has an account and I check it every day or every two days. It is not being controlling as far as I am concerned. You need to keep tabs on your children and check to see what they are into.
    Anonymous

• They have had MySpace for about 5-6 years & FB for about a year (got it after i did) and they are currently 18 and 19yo high school seniors. Their 22 and 23yo brothers never really got in to social networking as teens because it was still fairly new awhen they were teens. I have never chaecked their pages thought I have always been their friend on both sites. The rule early on was no sharing of any personal info., not exchanging phone numbers and no meeting anyone from the Internet. I taught them Internet safety from an early age. I have been online since my sons were 8, 7, 4 and 3 and it's always been something we have discussed. people would make such terrible mistakes in judgement all of the time and I would talk about those things openly with my children from the time they could understand. I trust my children and never felt a need to spy on them or to monitor them.
    Anonymous

• My 14 yr old daughter( will be 15 Weds Mar 3) has a FB and myspace page and yes I check it every so often because she has has some pretty crazy pictures up there and I made her take them down...
    sassy43082

Answer by sassy43082 at 9:38 PM on Feb. 27, 2010