How can I help him? I feel so bad for him.

My son has been having a lot of mucus in his throat for the past 2 weeks, he starts coughing in the middle of the night and vomits. It's mostly mucus. He's on some medicine from the Dr. but he's been on it for quite a while now and it's not helping. Every time he eats he starts coughing and throws up. He went to the Dr Thursday and the Dr said to continue giving him the med. I mean I'm sure my son's miserable from throwing up so much for so long and I know I'm tired of cleaning vomit in the middle of the night. Is there anything else I can do to dry up the mucus. He's 20 months by the way. I'm just worried because he's lost weight!

HannahLee87

Asked by HannahLee87 at 8:36 PM on Feb. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would have him stop drinking milk before bed if he does because the milk will feel like his throat is coated and make him want to cough, also a cool mist vaporizer right next to his bed blowing on his face helps 100%..my son had this a couple months ago and it really helps alot. Also at 20 months you can put vicks vapor rub on his chest and up on his throat to help him stop coughing. I would not reccomend giving him Bennidryl unless you talk to your doctor first. But i bet you wont even need to give him that just do the vaporizer and the vicks vapor rub.. Good luck . I hope he feels better !
    Lovingmykids3

Answer by Lovingmykids3 at 8:42 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• Can you give him some benadryl before bed? It would make him sleepy and help dry up the mucous. I don't remember when kids can start taking it though.
    Allison7777

Answer by Allison7777 at 8:37 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• I'd find a different doctor to be honest, a 20 month old who is losing weight and been vomiting that long can have acid burns in his throat. Do you go to baby clinic - they should have a record of his weight last time. Take it with you.
    If he is struggling with mucus, benadryl or dimetapp should help, food wise lots of very soft food is better and easier to swallow especially if his throat is sore - custard, jelly, icecream, soups, rice pudding, canned fruit, Foos stays in the tummy for around 4 hours, so try to get it in first, then play time to get as much absorbed before he lies down and vomits.
    You can also put his cot mattress on a slope to help his nose drain - roll a towel and put it UNDER the head end of the mattress.
    I would definitely get a second opinion if you are sure he is losing weight.
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 8:45 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• You can try taking him in the shower before bed to breathe in the moisture and get the mucus out. Works for me. There is a medicine called entex that works really well if there is a form for children so young. I know there used to be some for children. You can ask at the drug store.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:46 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• they have those sucrets soothing ice pop for kids. try find it in your local store. but make sure ask the dr. first.
    Anonymous

• Stop giving him dairy for a few weeks.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:48 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• I'd take him to a different doctor for another opinion.
    Anonymous

• I suggest a new dr. too. That phlegm is thickening in the night and causing him to choke. Plus with the vomiting he must be dehydrated. I would give him pedialyte and find another dr.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 9:14 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• I put the baby vicks vapor rub on the bottom of my 17 mo's feet before she goes to bed and it works like a charm. She doesn't play with it like she would if it was on her chest. Get a second opinion also.
    AmberBrat

Answer by AmberBrat at 10:09 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• If he is losing weight and is vomiting this much, there is a much bigger problem than the doctor is treating. Go to another doctor right away and ask for a complete physical to see exactly what is going on. You have to be assertive with doctors and don't always assume they know what is going on. A family memeber had a 20 month old baby to die after being told they would get better soon, etc. and not taking the mother seriously. Be proactive and demand a complete check-up.
    Lisahi

Answer by Lisahi at 11:51 PM on Feb. 27, 2010