How can I get my toddler to stay in his bed at night?

My husband and I bought our son (now 21 months) a toddler bed for christmas and cannot get him to say in it at night. He will get up multiple times and throw a fit everytime we put him back. We have never let him sleep with us in the bed. What is really weird though is when my husband is gone (he is military) for a couple of weeks and its just me and him, he stays in his bead and goes right to sleep. I'm really confused but since I am pregnantit is getting harder for me to get up and down several times a night. Please help

Workamom

Asked by Workamom at 9:32 PM on Feb. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We moved our son into a toddler bed at just about two years of age. My personal opinion (husband doesn't exactly agree) is that once he goes down, he stays in his room without interuption until morning. If that means he falls asleep on the floor behind the door, so be it.
    We also play a bit of a mind game on him. The toddler bed is a "big boy bed" and the crib which his sister uses (also in the same room) is the "baby bed." Since he likes nothing more than to be a big boy, asking him if he needs to go in the baby bed tends to calm him down.
    But again, I feel that once he's put in bed, I don't go back in there. That's partly because of my son's personality: He's the sort who, if you go back in, he will just keep on yelling - for hours if necessary to get a parent to come back in. Normally it takes about 15 to 20 minutes for him to fall asleep, which his pedi says is completely normal.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 9:37 PM on Feb. 27, 2010