parenting problems or learning problems?

What would you do/think if you seen this situation. 5 year old girl who was once potty trained except for night that is now no longer using the bathroom. A 4 yr old boy who has never been potty trained and not really been worked with and a 2 year old boy who isn't potty trained does not talk and only eats baby food? He would eat table food if given to him but that's not the case. The door knobs on the bedrooms are turned around so they can be locked from the outside.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:16 PM on Feb. 27, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• parents are being neglectful. i didn't get that from the locks being turned though, alot of mom's do this so the child can't get out when they don't want to go to bed at bedtime.
    Anonymous

• what would you do if you knew this and more was going on with these kids?
    Anonymous

• Neglectful parents. One locking a child in a room like that is one way to lose your children. In case of a fire, that door needs to be able to open from the inside. That is code for inside doors on buildings. The sad part of this is, these children are probably not being worked with at all and are going to end up being labeled when it could probably be different.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 10:30 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• i turned my childs door knob because i am a heavy sleeper and i didnt want her to fall down the stairs, or worse, be able to get out the front door and get away from me. does that make me neglectful? no.
    I cant really say about the potty training, some kids are slower at learning, and sometimes with other children in the house, they retract to their old ways for attention.
    if you are honestly concerned, then call CPS on the parents.
    Anonymous

• I would consider them a rather lazy and neglectful bunch of people. I had stairs and bought a metal gate for the top so kids couldn't fall down, and I dealt with the kids if they got out of bed instead of locking them into a room.

Neglect would all be speculation and unless there were proof of any abuse then I wouldn't do anything. It could be they lock their children up rather than allowing them to go to the bathroom whenever they please, but that is hard to prove unless witnessing it first hand. I agree a child should be potty trained by age 2, but I’ve met enough lazy parents that don’t bother teaching that until they are in kindergarten; it’s not considered abuse, just laziness. Food is food to any child services; as long as the child is healthy the pediatrician could care less what the kid is eating. So feeding a child too old for baby food is lazy parenting (not to mention expensive) rather than abuse.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 2:35 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• It's child neglect & endangerment for one. As for the girl regressing, I would wonder if she has been abused. I would call CPS. The parents need some education & assistance in parenting.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 1:40 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• I would think that there is a parenting problem. I do have to say though that we have reversed the doorknobs in our house so that they lock on the outside but it's because I don't want my kids locking themselves in their bedroom. I would NEVER lock my kids in their room. Somebody needs to help those kids.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 9:08 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I'd be sending in cps to see what kind of neglectful environment they are living in
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Omg! My husband ex did that to he son to. That is very neglect ful. Parents can't not turn the knowbs around like that.They are doing that to keep them locked in their rooms. Call CPS as soon as possible
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Those children are being neglected. The parents sound lazy and selfish.
    Anonymous