SON WITH STAPH INFECTION: UPDATE....TMI and WARNING!!

I posted last week that my son had a staph infection. This is my update:
We originally went in Tuesday with a smallish boil with a scab. He was put on antibiotics and sent home.
We went in Thursday with an open, oozing wound. They cleaned it, packed it and dressed it and told him to come back in two days.
We went back today and the lady cleaned it (think roto rooter) with peroxide and q tips and STUFFED it with antibacterial gauze. Put him on vicodin (he is 15) and told us to come back in two days. Continue on the antibiotics, no PE or leg exercise, no sports.
She said this will continue for about 6 WEEKS.
My warning is WATCH your child's wounds...teenagers tend to think it is nothing. It wasn't for us and had we not gone in he could have (and still COULD) lose his knee joint.
Has anyone else had experience with Staph infections??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:17 PM on Feb. 27, 2010 in Health

• My 23 year old son has had a bad run with them in the last 3 years. He nearly lost his left arm from mid forearm down. He'll get an ingrown hair and pick at it without washing the area or the hands. Voila..perfect way to touch you nose and put staph in your pore. He had an herbalist tell him to taake Brewers yeast everyday. He started that 7 months ago and hasn't had another one since. He thinks it is helping anyway.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:27 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• Yes we have. You need to watch for fever. If he gets a fever he could have cellulitis and need IV antibiotics right away. It can be done in the ER and then you go home after.

We have immune deficiencies and get staph infections easily. I have one in my big toe right now. I've had it for about 3 months. Draining and putting antibiotics on it hasn't worked. Oral antibiotics haven't worked. I just finished another round. My skin is all peeling on the whole toe from being infected so long and the whole thing is big and red. I don't sleep well. Can't walk much.

My boys get both staph infections and cellulitis. It's the cellulitis that scares us the most because it needs treated so fast. They know what it looks like and that it's important. They get the lump and then the boil like thing on their legs.

I have problems with fingers and toes.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:37 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• Ick. I'm sorry to those of you who are having/have had to deal with that. I hope I never do!
    Anonymous

• Gaill have you tried natural remedies?
    Anonymous

• I had MRSA a few years ago and it was NOT fun. It was the worst pain I have ever felt. I thought I was bit by a brown recluse spider and went to the ER. It turns out it was staph. It was nasty!! Painful and gross!! Now I am so careful that I don't get a repeat incident.

Definitely, keep an eye on it. Scary stuff.
    KnottyNikki

Answer by KnottyNikki at 11:00 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• Boils are a pain. I have had few over the last few years. They are all due to me having sensitive skin. When I get a rash my skin breaks open allowing germs to get in. I hate it. I went to the to get my allergies tested and since then I have not had a boil for a long time. Skin is are largest organ and you need to be very careful with it. I have to stay away from certain things that break me out.
    oliviahank

Answer by oliviahank at 11:29 PM on Feb. 27, 2010