Kids stories with a good witch...

I really get tired of reading my kids Grimm's Fairytales (among others) with all the evil witches and women... Are there books or stories that I can read my kids with positive examples of witches or sorceresses?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:36 PM on Feb. 27, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• dora...everyone but swiper is good in her books/shows. lol
    Anonymous

• I can't think of any offhand that are only good and no bad, but there are balanced ones - the Wizard of Oz and the Arthurian legend. You have to prescreen the Arthur stories, though. Some cast the Lady of the Lake as evil and some as good -it just depends on the version. In the good ones, she helps Arthur and Lancelot. (and some she's the same person)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:44 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• I ordered them the "Arthur for Kids" books, and just got the Kids Book of Greek Myth too, which has alot of mention of the Goddess... But I was looking for others. Thanks NP. If anyone can think of any, let me know!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:52 PM on Feb. 27, 2010

• Strega Nona, Strega Nona means Grandma Witch and this is just a really funny and sweet story.  I bought it for my kids along time ago because I'm Italian and it takes place in Italy but Stega Nona is a really wise and patient witch who tries to teach  young Anthony some lessons in hard work.

amazon

Strega Nona

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:10 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Grandfather was a good witch

Mary Pope Osborne’s The Magic Tree House

Edward Eager writes a lot of childrens books on magic.

A Wizard of Earthsea (The Earthsea Cycle, Book 1) by Ursula K. Le Guin

http://www.ruthchew.com/
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:31 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• "Matilda" - the movie, she isnt really a witch but definitely something goin on there.....
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 11:10 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• I was going to say what RyansMom said -- we LOVE the Strega Nona books here!

Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 1:23 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Yeah, the "Strega Nona" books are great! I loved them (I think I've read all of them). They're fun and funny and have nice illustrations.
    MamaBee07

Answer by MamaBee07 at 2:33 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• in the oz books there are two good and two evil witches. in the chronicles of narnia there are both good and bad. witches and sorcerors.
    mom2snsb

Answer by mom2snsb at 6:08 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Most of the Oz books are out of print, but you can find all 14 of Baum's on dozens of public domain sites and print them. I love almost all of those more than his original book. If you can find the Thompson Oz books, they are a a little lower in reading level, but she was a pretty good Hozstorian. Most of the books deal with good practitioners of magic. Some Thompson was due to hit public domain in 2008, I believe.

Matilda the book is even better than the movie. I LOVE The Witches, also by Roald Dahl, but most of the depictions are NOT what you are looking for, although there are good witches in it, too. And as mentioned, Edward Eager and Ruth Chew wrote some really terrific books about fun magic. Classic books, still awesome reads. Oh, and E Nesbit, too. She's a good read with lots of magic, plus an interesting look at British life.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 8:55 PM on Feb. 28, 2010