Will taking up yoga help with delivery?

sophiea

Asked by sophiea at 12:58 AM on Feb. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• YES! Yoga is relaxing first off. and you will learn to breath better. But PLZ Talk to your DR. first.
    CowleyK

Answer by CowleyK at 1:30 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Yes, I think so!
    I started prenatal after I had already birthed once and doula'd for others. I had become a birth junkie by then and was able to really see how it can directly translate into birth coping!

If anything, it's a chance to stretch!
    ;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:19 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• LOVE LOVE LOVE Yoga!!! it will help tons! And there is birthing yoga positions too!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:31 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Yes. I also did Kathy Smith pregnancy aerobics. I only gained 24 pounds, and looked better than prepregnancy two months after my daughter was born (and I was an old mom!)

Answer by rkoloms at 5:32 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Make sure you choose a yoga class specifically designed for pregnancy. Typical yoga contains a lot of poses than pregnant women shouldn't use (that's what I was told by a local yoga instructor). Just make sure it's a prenatal yoga class/video and staying in shape throughout pregnant is really good for you!

Answer by missanc at 8:54 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• yes- but if you're not already into yoga beforehand, then it's definitely good to pay close attention to your prenatal yoga instructor. your body produces more of a substance called "relaxin" during pregnancy (esp third trimester) and it can actually feel really easy to over stretch, but you can over do things without meaning to. just listen to your body and stop or slow down if you feel anything that doesn't feel good. yoga is most definitely a help for prepping for labor, both for mind and body, but also just as helpful for pregnancy aches and pains, as well as general well being in your life. :)
    mb_dolphin

Answer by mb_dolphin at 11:08 AM on Mar. 1, 2010