how do you get a four year old to accept an infant into the family

my daughter says she hates her brother and dosent want anything to do with him. This behavior is becoming a consern to me any help would be helpful

playmom223

Asked by playmom223 at 12:59 AM on Feb. 28, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

•   ignore her when she is acting up then later tell her that she hurts your heart when she acts up. tell her that Baby Brother is hers too and needs her help. see if she will FEED him ( with your help of course). When My mom was pg with my brother she involed me alot. telling me that this is our baby. and he will need mom and sissy. See if you can get her too go get diapers, wipes things like that and if she does tell her you dont know what you would do if she wasn't there to help mommy and brother. Dont forget that she had mom for 4 years and sharing is hard. make a date with DD. no baby involed. take her to the zoo or something and dont forget lunch. Let her know that she is your favorite daughter and that will never change.

CowleyK

Answer by CowleyK at 1:27 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• pay attention to her,spend lost of time with her,give her a day out of the week just for her. if all of the sudden all attention is on the baby what do you think she will feel like? shes gonna blame it on the baby.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 1:28 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• my mom's dr. told her to give the same amount of attention to me when she had my sister as she did before she had her. this was to help with jealousy issues. she said it was pretty easy at first but become more difficult once my sister was 3 months.

i would consider consulting your doctor. Have you asked your daughter why she feels that way? I would look into having some time for just you and your daughter. Have the baby stay with Daddy or a grandparent. Make sure you reassure her that you love her just as much as before...that nothing has changed except that you have another person to love. Maybe even explain that now she has someone else to love her. I would try to see about involving her with the baby's care more after she is not AS jealous. Good luck!
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 2:38 PM on Feb. 28, 2010