anyone use a CPAP machine? or know who does? this is about sleep apnea

I am 40 now and ever since I was 19 I was told I stop breathing when I sleep. So when I got pregnant with my son 6 yrs ago my husband wanted a sleep test done, for the safety of our son and me.
It turned out I stopped breathing every 83 seconds. That explains why my whole entire adulthood I was constantly tired..I never made it into the phase of deep sleep.
Well I haven't used my machine for a year and Today was a wakeup. I could not breathe,I could not stay awake either. I was in the reclioner from 9 til 4 today struggling to function. I almost went to the ER so they could hook me up to oxygen..I do not use my machine because it needs expensive new parts. like a new hose and face mask.
my husband is layed off do you think it would be ok to apply for state medical so I can afford new parts for my machine..so I can function daily and breathe?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Feb. 28, 2010 in Health

• Yes, u can apply and Medicaid should pay for a new one.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 1:05 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• You either have to take care of yourself or die. If you qualify for state assistance, get it. If not, look until you can find help. Start calling churches. GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:10 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• My husband has sleep apnea and uses a CPAP. His new mask was around $100 and the hose was only $10. I guess cost depends on the type of mask you use, but $110 doesn't seem like too much to come up with to be able to breath.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:11 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• If this is a matter of your life and death, I don't understand why you are coming on Cafemom asking if it's OKAY for you to apply to get your needed equipment. If you are having difficulities, contact your local home health agency and they will assist you in getting the parts and/or the financial assistance that you need. It's not a matter of you running to get state aid. As a former Respiratory Therapist, I can pretty much tell you that they have extra parts laying around the agency anyway. I am sure you can work something out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• this is op

do people really die from this? dumb question yes but it just seems like nobody actually dies from this
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• I don't think people die directly from it, but from the problems it can cause. My husband got in a terrible car accident because he fell asleep driving due to sleep apnea. It can result in high blood pressure and other cardiovascular problems.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Yes people really do die from it. When you don't breath your heart races while it's starving for oxygen and you can develope heart problems.
    Before my husband got diagnosed with sleep apnea he fell asleep at the wheel on the HWY going 55 mph. Luckily there was plenty of snow to stop him. Another time he was driving, he knew he was tired (didn't want to drive off the road again), stopped at McD's and got a cup of coffee, pulled up to the intersection to pull out of the parking lot, put his foot on the brake to stop for traffic, and woke up with a cop knocking on his window over an hour later. The car was in gear and his foot was still on the brake. Scary huh?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:24 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Yes, you can die from sleep apnea. You can also have brain damage due to the lack of oxygen. My spouse has been using a cPap for about ten years.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:34 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• My DH also uses a CPAP. He has been using it about 10 years as well, because I told him he kept stopping breathing in the middle of the night and then suddenly starting again with a loud gasp and he needed to go to his doc right away. He did listen to me thank goodness. And yes you can die from it, because it creates many other problems when your body is deprived of oxygen and your heart is constantly made to pump so hard.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 11:06 AM on Feb. 28, 2010