How can I set up and decorate a boys room ages 8 and 1?

I am going to be trying to get my step brother and half brother from cps.. and need ideas of what kind of theme to do it.. Also what kind of stuff should I have ready for them? Should I have it ready before I even get approved? Have you been in this situation?

AvonByGeena

Asked by AvonByGeena at 2:05 AM on Feb. 28, 2010 in Adoption

• I would do something simple. . . like lt. blue wall and brown trim. . . it is timeless and everything goes with it . . . and then if they are sharing a room split it but use like colors. . . on the younger one's side do something like knights and castles and dragons and on the older side something like Harry Potter themed (rule of thumb us like themes with like colors). Hope this helps!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:07 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• you have to havce room beds and dressers before approval but the rest is up to you. hear are two ideas i have used for boys rooms. ist was to make it like you ar ein the trees. if they like army, hunting , or are just outdoorsy they will like this. paint the walls a light blue then get three or four shades of green and sponge or rag paint in radomness allover the room. then take some brown and add branches every once in awhile.

another one is to do a city scape i painted in black the outline of a city around the bottom of the room and then ainted the uper part dark blue so it looks like the city at night.
    mom2snsb

Answer by mom2snsb at 9:08 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• if you want to go simple, blue and brown or dark blue and red both w/white trim and some artwork or just paint one color and artwork. get hanging letters t o spell out their names on the wall.
    in my sons room i have beige walls, his name w/hanging letters in jungle green (painted it myself) at the craft store i bought wooden animals, alligator, lion, giraffe, hippo and hot glued them to the wall and the bedding is also jungle themed. his room is simple but really cute.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• If you are trying to get the boys from CPS, they won't care about a theme, but will be looking that you have the space in your home for their room, beds, dressers, clothes, age-appropriate toys, diapers, etc. However, whatever you do will show them that you want their stay with you to be permanent and that you are in it for the long haul. Good luck & God bless. :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 12:16 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• My son's room is decorated in Disney Cars, Painted red & blue, and will eventually become a Hot Wheels room. So you could do half for each, or incorporate the 2 around the room! Good luck!!!
    Christian-Mom79

Answer by Christian-Mom79 at 7:35 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Kids grow so fast! If I could do it all over again I would not do an infant style room. I would keep it simple....personally I would not do blue. So over done for all boy rooms and hard to do resale of a house with blue. But if blue floats your boat....there are just so many good color choices that are more creative and mature but child friendly at the same time. Look at some parent magazines. They always have cute room make overs and you can get some ideas by browsing several of them. The key with the ages, no matter what the room looks like, is having it be safe for both kids. You will have to infant proof the room for the one year old and make sure the older child's toys are put up so the baby can't reach. I would bolt furniture to the wall when possible, tipping of furniture is the number one safety issue of children in their rooms. Go for safety first and work on themes later.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:24 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I wouldn't go with a theme right off the bat but rather have it painted nicely for them. Then when they come talk it over with the 8 year old and let him have input into it. That way it is "his" room and not something you decided he would like. With having a 1 & 8 together make an area that is just for each of them. Shelves that are higher for the 8 yr old to protect his treasures, etc. Also lower areas that are just for the 1 yr old so he can get into his things easily.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 9:42 AM on Mar. 1, 2010